G O D D E S S

~ Chapter Ten ~

The castle was more quiet than it had been in years.

The grande hallways were noticeably naked and the beautiful furniture deprived of company. They were all made for a king, a ruler, an alpha -- but this morning he was hidden away, sitting outside a door holding a sleeping human girl.

Some packmembers were still occupying the castle but they snuck across the marble floors, kept close to the walls in fear of waking up the stranger. Most had fled and spent the night in the woods, but everyone had seen Liz enter last night. She hadn't been very subtle, nor wolf-like, and acted in a way around the king that made them all hold their breath.

"Woah!" she'd yelled, then laughed as her voice bounced back at her. "This is your house?! How have I not seen this before? It's a goddamn castle!"

"Okay," their king had answered, following her with his gaze, not even noticing his packmates creeping along the walls.

"This is fucking unbelievable."

They all tensed, wondering if he would now smite the strange female for her disrespect.

But he didn't -- he didn't even look angry.

He noted her smile, enjoyed it for a second and then began carefully guiding her further into the hallways, away from intruding eyes. She kept talking, marvelling at the inside, while he stayed contentedly quiet. It wasn't customary for an alpha to bring a mate to his den without introducing her to every one of his subordinates.

But it also wasn't customary for a wolf of any rank to spend the night curled up outside the door of a human.

And yet there he was come morning.

"Sir."

He looked up at the man standing before him, his closest confidante Abraham. He was clasping his hands, giving him the same serious look that he had for years. A slight nod of the head was all telling that they were close.

"Yes?"

"Our trackers came up empty but they recognized the scent signature of the man that attacked last night."

"And?"

Abraham stayed willfully silent.

His alpha delivered a swift blow to the door, accented by his vicious growl. "The goddess have cursed me, surely!"

"I thought it best to bring the news to you myself."

"Good gut."

"Sir?"

He dismissed him with the wave of his hand. "Nothing. Thank you for coming. We'll discuss this at length later on."

Seemingly to both of their surprise, Abraham didn't leave. He looked at the door and then let his gaze drift to his king. "Forgive me," Abraham braved, "but how is it with... her? The whole pack is eager for news."

Red dragged a hand down his face. "I know. But she isn't one of us."

"She doesn't know, sir?"

"She does. But not everything. And I want to take this easy... I have to. If the pack bears any ill-feelings toward our situation then have them reminded of who's in charge."

"No, no, no. You mistake me, my king."

Red's interest was snagged, even though he wouldn't be so careless as to show it.

"The pack isn't harboring any disdain to this strange happening, or your mate. On the contrary. Sir, they adorn her. Whispers say that she's both human and wolf; a blessing from the Goddess"