VIII: The Council

Legolas' POV

It is almost time for the council, but when it ends, I will again have to leave Yara. We both sit in the semi-circle of seats, facing towards a table in the center. There are a few Dwarves sitting near me, but Yara offers a small wave to one from where she sits.

"Strangers from distance lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor."

Third Person POV

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor," Elrond says. He glances at all the faces of the Council Members, making eye contact with each, before continuing.

"Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fail," he continues, his voice taking on a darker edge. This worries many of the Council Members.

"Each race is bound to this fate-- this one doom," Elrond tells everyone, the gestures to the pedestal in the center. "Bring forth the Ring, Frodo." A small dark haired Hobbit stands, and he approaches the pedestal. This is Frodo Baggins. He places the Ring on the pedestal, then goes back to his seat, relieved looking. The Ring behind whispering, a different whisper to each.

"So it is true..." a Man murmurs. He rises, to address everyone,"in a dream I saw the Eastern Sky grow dark. But in the West, a pale light lingered. A voice was crying 'your doom is near at hand.'" He goes over to the pedestal, and his fingers hover over the Ring.

"Isildur's bane," he finishes. At this, Elrond leaps to his feet,"Boromir!" Gandalf rises, as well, and begins chanting in the the Black Speech of Mordor.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh bursumishi krimpatul," Gandalf chants, causing the sky to darken, and lightning to lace across the sky. All of the Council Members stand, looking at the sky in fear and confusion. Just as soon as it started, the storm stops. Everyone sits, warily.

"Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imlardis!" Elrond says to Gandalf.

"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond," Gandalf replies, his voice raspy. "For the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West! The Ring is all together evil!" He sits, shooting a glance at Boromir.

"It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor," Boromir says. "Why not use this Ring?" He stands, and begins to pace back and forth.

"Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!"

"You cannot wield it, none of us can!" Aragorn interjects. "The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master!" Boromir glares at Aragorn,"and what would a Ranger know of this?" At this, Legolas leaps to his feet.

Yara's POV

"This is no mere Ranger," Legolas says to Boromir. "He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn. You owe him your allegiance." Boromir looks at Aragorn, his face slack,"this... Is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor," I add, quickly. Legolas shoots me a small smile. Aragorn sighs,"sit down, Legolas." Boromir glares at Aragorn,"Gondor has no King." He then glances at me,"Gondor needs no King."

"Aragorn is right," Gandalf says. "We cannot use it." my father sighs,"you have only one choice. The Ring must be destroyed."

"Then what are we waiting for!?" a Dwarf asks, grabbing his axe. He stands, and rushes at the Ring. The Dwarf swings his axe, and strikes the Ring.

But his axe explodes, throwing the Dwarf backwards. I shield my face from the shrapnel.

"The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Glóin, by any craft we here posses," my father explains. I look at the Dwarf, now identified as Gimli. He is Glóin's son? My dear old friend, Glóin. It has been a long while since I spoke with him. I shall do so after the Council.

"One does not simply walk into Mordor," Boromir says, jarring me from my thoughts. "Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep. And the great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland. Riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly!"

Legolas stands, the anger in his face clear,"have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The Ring must be destroyed!"

"And I suppose you think you're the one to do it!?" Gimli yells, standing. Boromir stands, as well,"and if we fail, what then!? What happens when Sauron takes back what is his!?"

"I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!" Gimli yells. I internally facepalm. Like that was the SMART thing to say...

"Do you not understand that while we bicker amongst ourselves, Sauron's power grows?! None can escape it! You'll all be destroyed!" Gandalf yells, going over to the arguing Council Members. I remain in my seat, watching the scene, with a bemused expression. Useless bickering, white noise. That is what it is. Until I hear a small voice yell over the argument.

"I will take it! I will take it!"

We all look at Frodo. His face looks determined, but Gandalf looks at him with worry.

"I will take the Ring to Mordor," he says, with finality. "Though-- I do not know the way." I watch Gandalf go over,"I will help you bear this burden, Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear." He places his hand on Frodo's shoulder. Aragorn stands,"if by my life or death I can protect you, I will." He kneels in front of Frodo.

"You have my sword."

"You have mine as well!" I quickly say, going over. With a glance at me, Legolas adds his own voice.

"And you have my bow!"

"And my axe!" Gimli says, hefting the lump of his axe. I crack a small smile at him.

"You carry the fate of us all, little one," Boromir says, going over to Frodo. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done." He strides over, putting his hand on Frodo's shoulder. He then comes and stands by the rest of the members.

All of a sudden, I hear a voice. Another Hobbit springs from the bushes, and stands next to Frodo.

"Mister Frodo is not goin' anywhere without me!" the Hobbit says, crossing his arms. My father looks amused,"no indeed, it is hardly possible to separate you even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not." The newcomer looks down, but a small smile appears on his face. Two more Hobbits leap from behind the pillars, and run over. I Facepalm. Seriously? How many more are there?

"We're coming, too!" one says.

"You'd have to send us back, tied up in a sack!" the other says. My father's face looks confused, and I am sure mine mirrors it.

"Anyways," the first one says. "You need people of intelligence on this quest... Mission... Thing."

"Well that rules you out, Pip," the second one snorts.

"Ten companions," my father says. "So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring."

"Right. Where are we going?"