Chapter 1: Why you?

Ariana's POV:

"Mom, do you think I have everything I need?", I ask while loading my bag in my dads car.

"Yes, you'll be fine Ariana"

"Hope so. I'm kinda stressed a bit.."

"Why on earth would you be stressed? You've waited for this trip to America for so long, don't stress just enjoy", she said giving me a very tight hug.

Yes I do get it.

She wants me to enjoy it, and I also know that I'm going to. It's only my fear of being robbed or killed like in the movie Taken. Yes, I know the movie plays off in Europe..but still.

I go to my bedroom to do a final check, cause when I get on that plane there's no turning back to get something.

When I walk into my room I stand still for a while. Just thinking how much I'm going to miss home.

Then I go sit on my bed, only to see my half empty bedroom.

Suddenly I really feel empty, all I can think about is the people I'm leaving behind. My mother, father and younger brother. It took about an whole half year to get my parents to say yes for this trip. I mean it's a whole year that I'm going to be there. Doing a bit of work and castings here and there.

I stood up quickly, realising that this is MY gap year and I can do what I want. I only have one chance anyway.

Taking my last bag and walking out of the house, I saw a few of my best friends that came to say goodbye. After greeting all of my friends, me and my mom got into the car with my dad and drove off to the airport.

Maybe this was a bad idea

Aren't they going to miss me?

What if they forget me?

How will I ever be able to look Jack in the eyes again?

Jack and I have always been more than friends. He is the guy that I fell for, but we can't be together for plenty of reasons.

2 hours later

I'm sitting in the plane, calling my parents for the last time before leaving South Africa.

"Hi, mom?", I ask with a little scared tone, but I hope she couldn't notice.

"Yes dear, are you on the plane yet?"

"Yeahh...almost leaving", I said trying not to cry.

"Awh ok, honey dad says he loves you and that you must call us when you land there in Los Angeles."

The seatbelt light-sign went on.

"Will do, but mom I have to go now, love you."

And that was the time that I just couldn't keep my tears in. It's done. There's no turning back at all. The plane took off and I was lights out, crying myself to sleep.

Waking up, I could feel that the tears that I have cried, had dried against my cheeks. Only now I had taken notice of who were sitting close to me. I was sitting against the window with 3 other people on my right side. An beautiful girl looking like my age right next to me, and a small boy and his mom next to her.

She was busy on her tablet, typing an email.

"Hi, I'm Ariana", I introduced myself to her.

"Hey, I'm Roxy", she said flashing me a bright smile. "Do you live in LA?"

"No, I'm taking a gap year and decided to travel a bit, and you?"

"That's nice, I live here in LA for the past 3 years", she said giving me a smirk.