Prologue

The darkness closed in around Treviño as she climbed through the brush on the mountainside. Searching frantically around, Treviño tore up the slope until she reached the mouth of a cave. She leapt for the entrance, glancing over her shoulder into the dark. Treviño stumbled against the wall of the cave gasping for breath to fill her raw, heaving lungs.

    A dripping sound from further within the cave caught Treviño’s attention and she peered back, further into the cave. Following the sound, Treviño trailed her fingertips on the wall as she tiptoed toward the rhythmic beat of the droplets. Treviño licked her dry, cracked lips, hoping for an underground reservoir.

    Light filtered around the bend just before Treviño and she peered curiously around it. To her utmost surprise, she saw a large tree laden with faintly glowing, light blue flowers the size of dinner plates. The dripping sound originated from a steady stream of water coming from the ceiling of the cave and slipping off the petals of the numerous flowers to the ground.

    Treviño ran to the tree, her parched throat screaming for relief. She angled her mouth under one of the flowers, and allowed the stream to slip down her throat. Pins and needles began in her neck, and spread quickly through her chest and over the rest of her body. The pain started shortly thereafter, Treviño screamed at the sensation of nails being driven into her skin. Her throat began to swell, cutting off her oxygen and her shrill screech of pain. She fell to her knees, clutching her throat as darkness crept into her vision. Treviño let out a tiny gasp before her vision went dark.

***
Above is Treviño