Chapter 3

Soft blue light filled the dimly lit lab as Dr. Treviño slipped a drop of glowing water onto the flower. She caught the droplet as it fell and let it fall onto her hand. A bright glow spread up her hand and a smile spread across her face that didn't reach her storm grey eyes.

Marisol and Ariel stood near the door of the small cafeteria, peering around the menagerie of strange young people seated at the tables until they saw their friends. Emily, Easton, Ethan, Melanie, Sydney, and Shandon all sat around the table, eating and chatting with each other. Ariel led Marisol over to the two seats left open for them.

"Are you sure the Principal and Richard aren't doing it in that room while you stand guard, Ethan?" Shandon teased as the two girls approached with their food. Ethan looked up from wolfing down his spaghetti and stared and Shandon completely deadpan.

"Are you sure Minden didn't mess up your brain when she tattooed some unimaginative robot work on your back? There are a lot of nerves on your spine, you know." Shandon's smile faltered slightly. The intricate machinery on his shiftTatt was something he was incredibly proud of.

"My machinery is as unimaginative as your butterfly is girly." Ethan scowled at the corner he had been pushed into. He grunted and turned quickly back to his food with sudden interest. Shandon's mouth quirked up in a smile.

"Marisol!" Emily said, smiling as she noticed marisol's presence.

"Whats up Em?" Marisol answered, plunking into the empty seat beside her.

"Melanie refuses to tell us what she's going to get for her birthday this evening!" Marisol smiled wide.

"C'mon Mel, not even a hint?" Marisol's eyes sparkled in the cafeteria lights. Melanie shook her head slowly.

"It's a surprise."

"I know you've been eyeing Megan's tail since she got it on her birthday." Sydney jumped in.

"And Jessie's cat eyes too." Easton said grinning. Melanie shook her head.

"All i will say is it is a surprise, and..." Melanie's led bracelet lit up with a new message, and she quickly scanned it, her face changing from joking to businesslike.

"And?" Ethan said finally.

"I've got to go, the Principal wants to speak to me before my birthday appointment." Melanie gathered up the remains of her meal and headed toward the tray drop off.

"Hey!" Marisol called after her. "Weren't you going to tell us about the outside?"

"It will have to wait until later!" Melanie said exiting the cafeteria. As soon as she was out of sight, Emily leaned in close to her friends.

"I heard that what Melanie asked for was so crazy, the principal herself is going to oversee the appointment." She said softly. Ethan snorted in derision.

"The principal has better uses of her time than overseeing Melanie's birthday." He shot at Emily. "Besides, she is preparing our appointments as well. It's too much for one person to get done in that small amount of time."

"Come on," Emily said, standing and gathering her lunch scraps. "we've got to go prepare for tonight's labyrinth."

***
Sorry about the late and irregular updates, I hope you enjoy this chapter! I'll have another update for you on Sunday. I'm really really excited about the labyrinth!