Chapter 1

Harry was sitting at the dinner table of the Weasley's burrow when his new owl, Avalanche (A/N idk ok), flew in and dropped a letter on his plate and then flew to the other plates and dropped letters for them too.

"Oh, Wonderful!", exclaimed Hermione, "It's our Hogwarts letters!" She began to read it aloud.

Dear Ms Granger,
I am pleased to inform you Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry has opened up another year for students who missed their seventh year due to unfortunate circumstances of our last Wizarding War. This "eighth year" will be quite different than you have previously experienced at Hogwarts. When you and your fellow classmates are joined together once more, I will explain the new changes for our school. Until then,
Best wishes
~Headmaster M. McGonagall

"Mine says the same," said Ron quite unhappily. He had not been happy to hear he would have to endure yet another year of potions. "Maybe I'll skip this year," Ron thought aloud.

"Nonsense!", Mrs Weasley scolded her son. "You will most certainly be returning. You really ought to get the education. Besides having Professor McGonagall as Headmaster night just teach you a few things about manners and discipline and you most certainly need that". Ron was offset by these words but even more so when he glanced at his girlfriend and saw she was nodding fiercely at the words coming from Mrs Weasley's mouth.

Harry snickered at his friend and then said aloud "I wonder what will be different this year?"

"I don't know," said Hermione, "I guess we will have to see"

"Guess so"

~~~

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were walking on to the Hogwarts Train, getting ready for their final year at Hogwarts. They walked until they reached the last compartment and sat down in it, along with Ginny and Neville and Luna. After the end of the war, Harry and Ginny had gotten back together and snuggled up together once settled in the compartment. Ron and Hermione did the same.

Harry didn't remember dozing off but suddenly he was being lightly pushed awake. "Come on, Harry," said Ginny calmly, "we're almost at Hogwarts. Wouldn't want to be late." Harry smiled at his girlfriend and lightly kissed her. Then he got up to change into his robes.

A few minutes the train arrived to Hogsmeade. The group of friends began to walk off the train. As they exited the train, they turned their attention to where Hagrid was ushering all the new first years to come forward. When they caught Hagrid's eye, the waved a quick hello and turned to head toward the carriages which would carry them to the school. As they approached the carriages, Harry felt a twinge of guilt as he saw all the people who were curiously eyeing the thestrals, which almost all students could now see. Hermione, noticing this, put a sympathetic hand on his shoulder, "don't beat yourself up Harry," she said, "these people chose to fight and watch people die. You forced no one. This isn't your fault."

"Right," Harry said but Hermione could tell she hadn't really convinced him at all.

A few moments later, Harry and his friends were once again entering the Great Hall. It had obviously been redone after the war and it looked better than ever. The ceiling was downcast and rainy as was the weather outside but it still felt warm and homey to Harry. As he was walking towards Gryffindor table, Harry tripped and fell into another person. He began to apologize but after looking up he stopped short. Draco Malfoy was standing right in front of him. "Watch where you are going, Potter," he said but Harry noticed that he had said it without his usual hatred and sneer. It had almost sounded....sad. Harry had never heard Malfoy sound like that. Even when he was in court, watching his father be put in jail and trying to persuade the judges that he had been forced to be a death eater, Malfoy had kept his calm, cool persona. Harry was thrown off guard and just mumbled "um.. sorry" to Malfoy who just sighed and continued walking with Pansy to the Slytherin table.