Chapter 6. Confliction

Luke did not even flinch as he was thrown back into his cell after yet another beating. Blood poured from his mouth and his body ached, painful bruises were forming on his face, arms and chest. But Luke barely noticed it anymore. Pain was constant, pain was life, pain was a part of him now.

He could not remember a life before this darkness, this torture. He could not remember his name, where he had come from, who he was. No, he was no one, but if that was true, why did he feel so defiant to Sidious and Vader?

Reality and memory had slipped from Luke's mind. Everything felt real, but unreal. The only constants he could count on was when Imperial men took him away, hurt him and when Sidious and Vader came, and took care of his wounds.

The darkness and the cold were a part of him now, he barely noticed the cold in his cell anymore as he slowly got up, sitting on his knees as he, wiped his bloody mouth with the back of his shaky hand. In the darkness he could not see it, but the metallic smell of blood was very strong as Luke groaned, crawling over to the corner slowly before sitting down and awaiting the arrival of the Sith.

Luke knew what would come, the treat and then the question. Why did he always refuse Sidious? Did he just enjoy the pain? Surely not. Confusion plagued the breaking boy as he watched the area he was certain would open, letting in a light and the only two men who took care of him.

Luke dozed off after an hour or two of waiting, dreaming feverishly, seeing a girl in a white dress smile down at him, she was so beautiful. And there was a brunette man grinning beside him. But Luke didn't know who these people were. Their names hung at the edge of his mind, but he couldn't lift them up, and then the dream was sweeped away by the cold.

The cold made Luke perk up though as he lifted his messy blonde head and blinked, watching as the door opened and Vader walked in without the company of Sidious.

This was not new to Luke as Vader approached the boy. Luke did not back away, nor did he cower before the Sith, having come to trust that Vader would not harm him. He was, however, continuously fearful of Vader, afraid that if he did anything wrong Vader might never come back. Luke was also afraid that his continued defiance would drive Sidious away as well and he would be left to face the darkness and pain alone.

Vader came to the boy. As the weeks turned into months Luke had become far less defiant, his eyes held no more hope. Good.

In the dim light Vader could see the blood drying on Luke's mouth and chin, dark bruises marred grey skin and his hair was filthy from sweat and blood.

Kneeling down Vader extended the now very familiar cup to Luke who hesitated, waiting for Vader's clear permission. Vader nodded, giving Luke all the encouragement he needed as he took the cup eagerly, drinking the broth slowly though, savoring the warm drink as Vader watched.

The boy could have looked much like a man Vader remembered in the mirror, tan skin, long hair and bright blue eyes. When he had first laid eyes on Luke Vader had felt that the boy was familiar, and in many ways he had been. But not anymore.

The strength, hope and light that Luke had held on Bespin, was diminished and gone now. There was only a broken and beaten boy before him now.

Luke finished the drink finally before looking at Vader.

Vader took the cup and spoke firmly. "Your master is Lord Sidious, you are nothing without him, or me."

Luke swallowed, again defiance rose up in his throat, but he could not understand why. He could not remember why he continued to defy Vader.

Luke bowed his head, looking at the ground as his mind grasped at any reason for his defiance, but he found none. And yet...

Vader clenched his fists as Luke's fists also balled in clear defiance. The boy looked up at Vader. "He's not my master." Luke whispered hoarsely.