Sex

Sex

Alison’s auburn hair shimmers in the sunlight leaking through a window. Her green eyes look into mine. She’s wearing those high waisted shorts all girls love for some reason and a green tank top. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything so beautiful. She slowly tosses aside her converse, leaning back against the wall. She runs a hand through her hair, looks at me with a small smile.

It is the hottest day of the summer, and the only suitable place to spend it is my van. It’s one of those old Volkswagen vans from the 60s and it’s pretty fucked up, what with the taillight missing and the rust stains around the edges. Not to mention the stains in the flatbed, presumably from when some hippie guy got lucky back there forty years ago.

The same flatbed that the hottest girl I have ever seen is now sprawled out on, fanning herself. I keep reminding myself that she is with Joey. Then again, Joey cheats on her all the time. He’s never around. He doesn’t deserve her. I have been grappling with this for nearly two months, time during which Alison and I have spent becoming close friends and maybe sort of flirting a bit.

I’m not a bad guy, I swear. It’s just when I’m around her it is like I can’t think and all logic has seemingly disappeared from my mind. And yeah, okay, maybe I’ve made out with my friends girlfriend a few times. But she always initiated it. She always said she liked me better than Joey and that she wanted to be with me.

I’m not sure I believed her. It may have all been bullshit, but I still listened to her and I never stopped her when she kissed me. In fact, I did a lot more than stop her.

Still, I wasn’t a bad guy. Was I?

A silence fills the van now, broken only by the radio. Some slightly poppy song is playing. I think it’s called ‘Boston’ or something like that. “Come back here.” Alison finally says, breaking the silence.

I nod, climbing away from my spot at the driver’s seat and into the back. I awkwardly sit there, not sure if I should touch her or something. Why does she want me in the back anyway? She drapes her bare feet across my lap, grinning at me as the song ‘Free Bird’ starts playing.

“You know, I bet Joey is having sex with that girl who called him earlier. I bet they’re doing it this very minute.” She talks so casually about her boyfriend sleeping with someone else. It’s a bit disarming.

“Joey said the person who called earlier was his mom.” I manage to say.

She scoffs. “You don’t believe that bullshit, do you?” She says, raising her brows. “You and I both know that was one of his other girls.”

“And you’re okay with that?”

She shrugs. “Can’t change it. No point in trying.”

“Why are you still with him?” I blurt out. I rub the back of my neck sheepishly. “I mean, we both know that you guys aren’t good for each other. You both cheat on each other all the time. So why stay together?”

She smirks. “Don’t you understand?” She says, “Joey is my ticket to all the cool parties at school. He’s the only reason I’m as popular as I am.”

Now it’s my turn to scoff. “So that’s all you care about? The fact that he gets you into parties? I didn’t know you were so superficial.”

“Well, I am.” She says, shrugging.

Then suddenly she is sitting on my lap. “I like you.” She says, a small smirk playing on her lips. “You don’t bullshit like Joey. You tell it like it is. Not to mention, you’re a nice guy.”

“So that’s what you see in me? A nice guy?”

“Well, that and somebody to get back at Joey with.”