A Doll's House

Character: Nora 

Genre: Drama

Gender: Female

Age Range:30-39

Category: Contemporary

Themes: Reality, Loss, Life Changes

SCENE SYNOPSIS:Disgusted and hurt regarding how Helmer dealt with the potential blackmail, Nora advises she is leaving. She no longer loves Helmer and wonders if he ever loved her or just the idea of her.

  You have never loved me. You have only thought it pleasant to be in love with me. It is perfectly true, Torvald. When I was at home with papa, he told me his opinion about everything, and so I had the same opinions; and if I differed from him I concealed the fact, because he would not have liked it. He called me his doll-child, and he played with me just as I used to play with my dolls. And when I came to live with you--I mean that I was simply transferred from papa's hands into yours. You arranged everything according to your own taste, and so I got the same tastes as your else I pretended to, I am really not quite sure which--I think sometimes the one and sometimes the other. When I look back on it, it seems to me as if I had been living here like a poor woman--just from hand to mouth. I have existed merely to perform tricks for you, Torvald. But you would have it so. You and papa have committed a great sin against me. It is your fault that I have made nothing of my life.