第29Q

Seirin advanced to the championship league, as well as Shutoku, Senshinkan and Kirisaki Dai Ichi. The championship league would determine which two schools would be representing Tokyo in the Winter Cup. The four participating teams had been chosen to enter this championship league.

"For better or for worse," said Fukuda as the team walked home. "We only have three games left."

"The Winter Cup preliminaries went by in a flash." commented Furihata.

"What are you idiots talking about?" scolded Hyuga, surprising him. "It's just the opposite. We're just getting started."

"Have you forgotten already?" asked Riko. "Only the top eight schools out of over three hundred from the summer have been allowed to participate. In other words, the Winter Cup preliminaries began with the Inter-High preliminaries. It's one long qualifier that's been going on since this summer."

"Our first opponent in the championship league is Senshinkan." said the captain. "We've lost to them twice already. Let's win this time!"

"Yeah!" said the team.

"Kagami-kun." called Kuroko. "Yasu-san. Please follow me."

~Time skip~

Kagami and Yasu followed Kuroko to an empty outdoor basketball court. "So, what do you want?" asked the former.

"Will you help me practise my new drive?" asked the Phantom Player as he took out a basketball from his bag.

"You still haven't finished that, Kuroko?" asked Yasu.

"I've done everything I can on my own." he said. "I just need both of you to help me perfect it."

"I get it." said Kagami. "Sure. Bring it on."

"Then, I'll step aside to watch." said Yasu as she stood at a safe distance from the boys.

Kagami took a defense stance as soon as Kuroko dribbled the ball. He drove in and passed Kagami, catching him off guard. 'Amazing.' he thought in awe. 'If he can pull this off, it really will be an unstoppable drive.'

However, they noticed that the ball was in front of Kagami. "Ah." responded Kuroko, staring at his empty hand.

"Don't give me that!" scolded Kagami as he picked up the ball. "Done everything, my ass! You lost the ball!"

"I lost the ball." said Kuroko.

"I just said that!" shouted Kagami. He looked at the ball and took note of its condition. 'The leather's been mostly worn off.' he thought.

"I need a new ball." said Kuroko while receiving the ball. "I wish I could use the gym more. This is the sixth one."

"Sixth?" repeated Yasu with raised brows.

He then turned to her and asked, "What do you think, Yasu-san?"

The girl rubbed the back of her neck and sighed. "Honestly, I have nothing to say." she replied. "Because this is something that I've never taught you and of your own. But all I can say is polish it up as much as possible before the Winter Cup. Don't make it too obvious, and have a good grip on the ball."

"Thank you, Yasu-san." he said gratefully.

Kagami watched the exchange with confusion written all over his face. 'Is she his mentor or something?' he questioned.

~Time skip~

The next day was the championship league. Seirin was playing against Senshinkan and ahead of them. During the fourth quarter, Yasu glanced over at the other court where Shuutoku was playing against Kirisaki Dai Ichi. The manager couldn't help but feel that something wasn't right with the latter team. To her, the players were weak. She couldn't see any of their key players among the team. Whether they were throwing game or not, she didn't know. Her gaze then went over to the stands, and her olive green orbs landed on five Kirisaki Dai Ichi players among them.