PART ONE - Kioku ni nokoru

*~ PART ONE ~*

   Within dark brown eyes, curiosity and shyness shone like a bright light within the most obscure darkness, those two and many others emotions that swirled within a small young heart and innocent mind flashed through them as little feet walked through crowded streets with the carelessness of a young child.

   A giggle broke through smiling pink lips and carried out in a soft young voice as amusement sparked to life while dark orbs caught one puppy trying to catch it’s own tail, and a girl with dark spiky hair grabbing it by the scruff of it’s neck, scolding at it.

   The elderly hand guided the small hand of a young child, the grasp gentle yet sure and unyielding, warm in manner and touch. Warm dark blue eyes smiled and greeted the passing individuals with just one fleeting glance, earning a respectful and friendly nod or wave in return.

   “Baa-chama! Baa-chama! I want that one! Pleashe! Lei will pay back when Lei ish a big girl!” A little girl, no older than five years of age, exclaimed in an excited tone of voice as one little finger was pointed towards a small dark blue kimono with several details in soft pinks and dark browns that was laying among others at one of the various along the street.

   That ensued a soft and amused chuckle passing chapped lips that were accustomed to speak words of wisdom, result of decades of experience and learning, as they curved into a serene and amused smile. “Are you sure, Toralei, that you can carry on that promise?” 

   “Of course! Lei will pay back ash shoon ash Lei can.” The little girl exclaimed, her rosy lips stretched into a bright smile that showed the row of her little, milk white teeth.

   The elderly woman refrained from smiling at how such a pure child could be so cute.

    “Well, then, let’s get you what you want. But I’ll tell you how you will pay me back, is that okay?” The woman said, looking the little girl in the eyes and raising a white eyebrow that was once the color of a raven’s wing.

    A frown etched to the girl’s face as her expression became thoughtful and slightly confused. There was a long pause as thoughts swirled within a young and innocent mind, as confusion changed into understanding and shifted into determination within a matter of seconds.

   Looking up with conviction filled eyes, the girl nodded. “Yesh. It’sh okay.” 

   “Let’s get you your kimono, then.” The woman said with a smile.

    The little girl cheered, and ran towards the stand where the kimono she wanted was in exhibition, followed by an old woman shaking her head at the younger female’s antics, her silvery white hair pulled into a tight bun high on her head. It almost looked painfully pulled back, but slickily adorned with the utmost simplicity.

   A couple of minutes later, awe filled the dark eyes of the young girl as she looked down at the kimono her grandmother had bought her. The fabric was dark to the eye and soft to the touch. The patterns were so small that they had to be closely examined to understand what was it that they were, but together and in the extension they were, they looked marvelous against the dark royal blue background. The slash was a soft sakura pink, with a dark chocolate brown tie. 

   “Ah~... it’sh sho beautiful!” The little girl said, the wonder in her voice clear to anyone that listened close enough, eyes widened with the same wonder as she stared down onto the piece of clothing.