Chapter-9

My eyes were glued at Josh in hysteric stupor. All my suspicions were overwhelming with fear. I couldn't even utter a word. I was just staring at him in dread.

He held perplexity as he scrutinized my disheveled condition, a worry scintillate his eyes.

His hand moved towards me. "Ansley," he said softly.

I flinched back. "Don't!"

An irritation crossed his face. "I won't hurt you."

"Ann?" A high note of worry resounded in a voice. I looked behind. Mom was rushing to me with dad following by his side.

They were immediately crouched by my side. Their eyes not missing out the presence of Josh. Especially not dad. His eyes were narrowed in a slit. They were cold and hard. And I could feel Josh was apparent to this hostility. He always was.

Mom's arms were around me in a try to soothe me down as she looked at Josh, trying to keep herself away from any emotion. "What happened here, Josh?"

Josh's eyes shifted to me. He was still irked. "I don't know. I asked her the same."

"Do you want me to have restraining orders against you?" My dad's voice broke in anger.

Josh's jaw clenched, he smiled derisively. "I don't have any interest in you. So you can have them, sir."

I could feel heat radiating off by my side. Dad was furious. "I mean Ansley."

Josh looked straight into my eyes. There was a fervent emotion gleaming in them. "Do you want any restraining orders against me, Ansley?"

His eyes were so appealing that looking into them you could find yourself drowning in those mocha seas. But today no spell of his beckoning appeal worked on me. I was tired of it all. I just wanted a small piece of serenity in my life. To me he was a guy I had loved. To me he could never be the reasons of my misery. But suspicions were all casting over him. He had motive with an easily snapping personality.

I didn't know who to trust and who not to.

My head seemed to be spinning. It was enough dramatic ride for today. I didn't want to lose it anymore. So before dad could've snapped once more, I spoke. "Help me to my apartment please."

Dad's eyes were boring at Josh, he remained riveted to his spot until mom intervened. "Luke..."

Dad sighed, trying to immure his anger as he averted his eyes off from him. He helped me up from the floor. Mom's arm was draped around me so was dad as they both guided my trembling form up the stairs.

I looked over my shoulder. A hurt was crossed on Josh's face. A twinge passed through my heart. But I knew better. Looks could be deceiving.

***

Mom's fingers worked in a delicate motion, rounding a gauze around my wounded palm. Her work spoke of her experience as a renowned surgeon just like dad was.

"Are you gonna explain us now?" She asked, her deep blue eyes probed for an answer. And I wondered why I didn't get those eyes from her. I didn't get any physical trait from her at all. She was blonde, the hair color I wanted. Her skin had a healthy glowing tan. She was beautiful. And I wanted to be like her in all aspects. Because, of all her beauty, her kindness stood the most.

I had no lie to answer her about my disheveled condition. And I couldn't keep it in anymore. This was becoming all a mess now. They had to know.

"It's started with a-" I was cut off by a loud ringing of phone.

Mom and I looked beside us to the recliner where dad was. He picked the call. There was a deep frown on his brow as he muttered. "I'll be there as soon as I can."