Chapter-11

I stood steady amidst the mass wearing black while a feeling of being barren was eating me alive.

People coming to me. All had a common expression of sympathy in their eyes as they talked to me. No words were coming from my mouth. It all felt still a nightmare. That I was waiting for to wake up from. But it had been carried on for too long that even my belief seemed to be faltering of ever waking up from it.

"Ansley," I heard my name being softly called. I turned lifelessly. There stood Derek in a crisp black suit. An expression of condolence on his face. He held an empathy as he peered at me wordlessly, my eyes were casted down. I didn't have a strength to look at anyone without crying. So I avoided contact.

After few seconds, he spoke, "I'm so sorry for your loss..."

I nodded. Again the silence fell. I expected him to move on to avoid my overly quiet self like everyone else did. But he didn't move. He stood before me, unmoving, gazing at me softly as if I were a glass doll who would break by just a mere touch.

"I'm here, Ansley, for you." his words were so tender that for the first time today, I looked at someone. His eyes, deep green irises, were focused on me in a soft gaze.

My eyes brimmed with tears. I tried to keep it in, to immure my grief. But to be looked at with so much kindness overwhelmed me. A tear escaped me, followed by the second tear until it was pouring out from my eyes.

Derek arms came around me while I kept my face hidden in his chest. I was sure everyone eyes were at me. But I was too much tangled in my emotional turmoil to care. I cried silently while he hid me in his arms away from everyone.

I didn't know after how long I pulled away. But when I did, Derek was looking at me softly, a gentle gleam in his eyes. He wasn't seeming like that guy from the coffee, a sweetly cocky one, I spent with him. That side wasn't bad. It was actually a fun time that made me want to spend more time in his company. But his this new side was gentler and softer. A totally different shade from what I had seen earlier. A side that showed his capability of empathic emotions.

I felt hand on my back. Rayon was by my side. He glanced at Derek, but didn't seem to acknowledge his presence. He leant onto me and whispered, "I think you should go see Sam."

I frowned, a worry etching on my face. "Is he okay?"

"Not emotionally, I think." Ray said, looking kind of concerned himself.

I looked at Derek. "I'll be back in a bit."

Excusing myself from there, I moved through the people gathered in our home. I went upstairs down the hall to the room where dad's man cave was.

I stopped at the door. There he stood, alone. His eyes, almond brown just like I, which we both took after our father spasmed my chest. I let in a deep breath, restraining my tears from falling again. He was peering at the wall where hung a frame, keeping intact the memory of our family vacation from two years back in the beach house we owned in Malibu. We all were looking so happy in that picture. No body seeming to be aware of the tragedy we were going to hit with.

I approached behind him, wrapping my arms around him from back. His body twitched, seeming to get aware of my presence. But he remained stilled.

He had grown a lot since our last vacation together. He wasn't that skinny thirteen year old anymore. He was now fifteen, his body now filling on the skinny side of him. But still he was my little brother.

I could see how he was trying to suppress the pain, restraining the tears to shed from his eyes, trying to act like a strong guy. But I knew better. How strong he was at the moment.