Chapter-13

My heart was thudding against my ribcage so vigorously that even a single thud further would have broken my ribs.

I stood inert at my spot while he rose a brow, looking perplexed of my question. "What am I doing here? I should be asking you that. You don't walk area like this at night."

I remained quiet. My eyes held an unvoiced accusation as I continued to stare at him. There was coldness and dread shrouding my eyes as they shifted to the gun he was holding.

He seemed to have met my line of vision as he inmideately tucked it behind the wasteline of his jeans, hiding it under his brown jacket as he breathed out a frustrated sigh. "It's not safe out here. Let me give you a ride back to your place."

I shook my head as I had a step back. "I'll be fine."

I knew it was a foolish thing to walk all the way back to my apartment alone. But more than the desolated roads, I was scared of him.

Back then I didn't know if I could have ever looked at him any way rather than love. But now I knew.

And it was pure dread.

I didn't know for sure if the suspicions I held against him were true or not. But he didn't seem to give me any chance to deny them.

He had grudge against Janice.

Janice was half dead.

He was overly possessive for me.

I was being stalked.

And it all started when he was back in Fresno.

Even if I wanted to fight off my suspicions. I couldn't. He really had temper that couldn't be overlooked.

My answer didn't have seemed to sit well with him. Those mocha eyes were narrowed in a slit. "Really? You didn't seem to be fine when herded by those guys."

A rush of agitation flashed through me. "I appreciated your help. Thank you. But leave me the hell alone!"

I shouldn't have acknowledged his intent to help. I should've been grateful. But all this. His presence all around my world was driving me crazy in dread. More of the suspicions brewing inside me. And it was welling an indignation inside me at the same time.

I was frightened.

But I was angry too.

I erected my stature as I met his vision. They were addled yet he managed to throw a glare at me. I tried to look past him as I strode away from there trying to ignore his very being.

I had just taken few steps past him that I felt an iron grip on my arm, jerking me back. I whirled to him, darting him a glare. "What the hell is your problem!"

His Jaw was clenched. "No! What the hell is your problem!"

I frowned. Annoyance was crystal on my face.

"I don't know, Ansley, how have you come to loathe me this much. I'm just trying to help you here." his words started out in anger but in the end they held a tinge of hurt.

My expression softened. I didn't know how to act around him. It had been years I hadn't seen him.

He was gone without a word.

And he had to be back when everything in my life was a mess. A mess that was intently created.

Why was I being like that? I didn't know if I had to be wary of him yet. That he was the reason for every catastrophe in my life.

A countenance dripped in exhaustion crossed my face as I let in a deep breath. I meant to speak something kind. But that didn't happen. "You should ask for yourself."