the orphanage

There are times I wish I were never born. I'm that box of cereal in the back that's been there for years collecting dust because people would rather have the new young boxes with a pretty hair and eyes that look like them. Everyone has a checklist of the type of child they want. I'm either too shy, or skinny; they don't like my freckles or my red hair. They don't want a special needs child and I apparently have anger issues. They only say that because I've been in sixteen fights this year. None of them was my fault, Katie likes to pick the fights and her friends give her back up. I've done everything I can to avoid her but even now as I sit alone I can see her walking up, ready to try and start something.

"Look! it's the demon sitting with her imaginary friends!" Katie, a tall 15-year-old with brown pulled back hair snickered as she and her group of friends walk up to me.

"are you going to say anything productive or are you just trying to waste my time, as usual?" I ask, not standing up off the old rusted swing.

"my hairbrush is missing and Ms. Jakie says that a very high-status man is coming, looking to adopt."

"so wasting my time it is. what does this have to do with me?" I question.

"you took it. it's the only possible explanation."

"on what planet?"

"the fact that Jill said she saw you snooping around my stuff this morning. " Katie snapped her fingers and two of the girls in her group grabbed the chains of the swings, keeping me still.

"I was on sweeping duty, I had to move your bag off the floor, it was in my way. I simply picked it up and put it on your bed, that's it."

"I don't believe you."

"why aren't I surprised?" I grumbled under my breath.

"watch out, Katie! the devils trying to hex you!" a young seven-year-old named Lily called out, a grin on her face.

"look, I don't know where your brush is, nor do I care. I don't see why you would, he probably wants the toddler room."

"actually he specifically asked for an older girl between 9 and 15. perfect for getting me out of this shit hole."

"what? tired of waiting for mommy to stay clean?" I asked and that earned me a slap across the face.

"how dear you? give me my hairbrush now you rat!" she hissed, her claws deep in my red hair.

"I told you I don't have it!" I said through gritted teeth.

"lying devil! I saw you!" jill growled.

"yeah, just like your mom's husband saw your mom and actual dad doing it. how much prison time did he get for stabbing them again?" I hissed. jill started crying as Katie tugs harder at my hair causing me to wince.

"that was a low blow rat, at least she knew her family. she wasn't born a filthy little street rat." she let my hair go, shoving me off the swing in the process. I managed to tumble back into a stand position.

"still better than being born addicted to heroin. " I glare at her.

"why you-" she lifted me off the ground by my color but I just smirked.

"you're really going to make this physical when a rich man is coming for a girl like you? how fast do you think he'll cross you off the list for picking fights? after all, it isn't very ladylike." I grind right in her face. I could tell she knew I was right which made the smirk spread even wider. "good thing I'm anything but ladylike." I said before grabbing her ponytail and yanking on it hard, causing her to drop me.

"Lexi!" Katie yelled, and a tall black haired 17-year-old came out of the crowd and got to work. I was punched in my face and kicked in the stomach. my nose was bleeding and I was ready to barf what slop I had in my stomach. she lifted me by my collar, much higher than Katie was able to. I was kicking and struggling. I managed to kick her hard enough in the stomach to get her to let me go. as soon as I was free I booked it across the courtyard. I was looking back to see if I was being followed when I ran straight into someone. it turns out it was the man Katie was talking about. he had black hair and hard looking blue eyes that seemed to be trying to read my mind.

"I'm so sorry, sir." I apologize for backing up to a safe distance.

"your bleeding, what was going on out here?" he asked.

"You again? I should have known!" Ms. Jackie glared down at me, her hands on her hips. "I apologize, Mr. Wayne, this one doesn't seem to know how to solve her problems with words."

"hay! that's not-"

"your fault? who was it this time? Jill? Alexis? Katie? from what I can tell your the only one bleeding."

"the princess didn't give me the chance. and she's the one-"

"it's always the same story with you! I don't want to hear it again."

"I'd like to hear it. I believe there are always two sides to every story." the tall man said, kneeling down to my high. "my names Bruce Wayne. whats yours?"

"Pax. I'm 10, sir." I say. why did you add that? age range or not, he's not going to pick you, moron, no one does. "as for what happened, I was just minding my business when Katie and her crew came over and started accusing me of stealing Katie's hairbrush, which I didn't do. it only got physical when Katie had a fist full of my hair."

"she's lying! she's trying to make me look bad again!" an all too familiar whiny voice came from behind me. "she stole it and then when I asked for it back she attacked me like the hot head she is!"

"you want to see hothead?" I grumble angerly.

"young lady, we have talked about your lying before you are to go to the sleeping quarters and sit there until I finish with Mr. Wayne." Ms. Jackie had a tight grasp on my upper arm pulling me towards the door.

"serves her right, street rat." I heard Katie giggle. I felt my eyes sting. I wanted to cry, but I held my breath, keeping the tears in. cry, baby. I'm not going to cry, not now, not here.

"Wait!" the man calls causing Ms. Jackie to stop and turn. he walked up and knelt in front of me.

"your name is Pax? did you know that means Peace in Latin?" he asked. I nodded.

"it was on the paper I was found with." I dug into my pocket and pulled out the old torn paper I always keep on me. I unfold it and read what it says aloud. "to my beautiful little flame. giving you up is both peace and war for me, just as your name states. nothing is forever and everything will pass. peace and war never last. " when I finish I fold up the paper and put it back in my pocket.

"so you've never had a family?" I shake my head. "well, how would you like having four brothers?" he asked and I looked at him shocked.

"I-I don't understand."

"Jackie, please show me the papers I need to sign. I'll be taking this young lady home with me today."

"what?" a shrill voice screeched. "you really want her? shes the devil! a soleless street rat!" Katie argued. "she knows nothing of how to act like the higher class! I don't even think she knows the meaning of the word ladylike."

"I'm sorry for disappointing you young lady, but I feel like pax will be the best match for my family. if I could give a family to every homeless child I would, but I can't. I'm sure you understand." Katie looked at the man with complete and utter shock. her face scrunched up and she ran into the building sobbing. "I'm so sorry for this." he apologized to Ms. Jackie.

"don't be. shes just angry that she didn't get her way." I say grimly as a large hand wraps around mine.

"let's go get those papers." Bruce smiled.