-Chapitre Trois-

"Dreams made real? So you can make dreams come true?" You shyly asked; hope flowing from your tone. Could he...change your fate?

"As easy as pie." Dr. Facilier purred proudly.

After taking a deep breath, you forced yourself to calm down and focus on keeping your posture. "I don't believe it."

"You don't? Hmm, then give me your hand." He smirked, amused by your disbelief.

"What? No!" You protested as you pulled your hand away from his outstretched one.

"Give me your hand, I'll prove it to you."

"I'm not giving you my hand! Just who do you think I am? Some flimsy little damsel?" Your defence rose as your voice grew sharper - not wanting to appear weak.

Dr. Facilier ignored your defensive stance and snatched your hand anyway; flipping it over and staring at your palm. Your eyes widened as he inspected the lines and curves, your shock stopping you from growing angry. What was he seeing? Could he actually read your past, present and future? Or was he just messing around? You snapped out of your stunned state a few seconds later, wrenching your hand away from him. He had some nerve doing that.

"No... I think you're (Y/n) from the (L/n) family, stuck being the youngest sibling whilst being tormented by your older sister. You feel restless...bored...trapped. You just want to be free, free to try anything you like...but freedom comes at a price~" Dr. Facilier finished with a dark smile.

"H-How did you-?"

"Ah, ah, ah... It's a secret." He smile twisted into a smirk as you stumbled to your feet, his sadistic side liking your shaky tone.

"But-" He pushed his forefinger against your mouth and gave a wicked wink, silencing you with ease.

"Feel free to drop by the emporium anytime, dear. I always give help to those who need it~" Dr. Facilier pulled his hand away and blew you a kiss before walking away, holding his mask in front of his face again.

"W-Wait! Hold on-!" You hurried over your words and tried to follow him, but after pushing through a few people you couldn't find him. He'd simply...disappeared.

How did he vanish like that? You couldn't find him anywhere. With a sigh you gave up, picking up a glass of wine from the drink table. You felt awkward - like someone was watching you - but you couldn't be bothered to check. It was just you being suspicious. All you had to do was endure this party and then stay at Charlotte's for a few days before going home. Stay calm, stay collected, stay classy. Shouldn't be too hard - Charlotte wasn't very attentive.

"AGH!!" Charlotte screamed in horror, scratching at her back as she skidded across the marble floor. What was wrong with her?

"Hey, Stella! Get them frogs!" Big Daddy roared and pointed at his daughter's fallen body. On top of her upside-down dress sat two frazzled frogs, both of them hopping onto a table.

"Run!"
"I can't run. I'm a frog!"
Did those two frogs just talk?! You shook your head and focused on your fallen friend, seeing how disheveled she was.

"Charlotte!" You rushed to her side and helped her sit up, brushing some of her messy locks to the side. Scared tears pricked at her eyes; her mascara smudging again.

"T-T-Those s-slimy frogs j-just c-crawled down m-my back." She stuttered tearfully.

"I know. Um...Why don't we clean you up and then you can dance with Prince Naveen again?" You planned - helping the girl up and wrapping an arm around her.

"Y-Yeah, that'd be s-swell. Thanks a bunch, (Y-Y/n)." She shakily stammered, nuzzling into your side.

"Charlotte! You alright darlin'?" Big Daddy called after you two in concern, worried about his daughter.

"She's fine! I'm just going to help her clean up and then we'll be back down!" You responded as you both climbed the staircase.

"Thanks (Y/n)! You take care now, both of ya." He gave a small wave and then started to help tidy up, apologising to the prince.

"U-Ugh, I can still feel the slime. Oh (Y/n), I'm so embarrassed, the prince must think we're nothin' but a joke!" Charlotte delved into more tears, crying slightly.

"I saw the way he danced with you, Charlotte, and I can tell he likes you back. I'm sure he wouldn't let a silly accident mess up your time together." You soothed her softly.

"Really? Ya think he likes me too?" She brightened up as you both entered her bedroom, her tears drying on her powdered cheeks.

"Absolutely." You had no clue if he did or not, but hey, it was cheering Charlotte up.

"Oh, (Y/n), honey, did you see the way
he danced with me? A marriage proposal, can't be far behind!" She exclaimed happily, going to clean and redo her mascara.

"Thank you, Evening star!" Charlotte crowed as she grew grateful. Did she really think a stupid star fixed her problem? You thought back to the card Dr. Facilier had given you - the same card you placed down on one of the tables.

"You know, I was taught to think that wishing on stars was just for...Babies an' crazy people." She reapplied her mascara and powdered her cheeks again, mostly talking to herself.

"Well I guess some dreams do come true. Now come here you, I'll fix your hair." You affectionately spoke, picking up a hairbrush and moving behind her.

"Thanks honeybun." Charlotte flashed a charming smile and tried to stay still, the southern belle being wild with her emotions.

"Hey Charlotte?"

"Yeah (Y/n)?"

"Do you think...magic is real? Not like fairytales...I mean like...potions and charms." You hesitantly questioned.

"Have you been speakin' to the Shadow Man?" Charlotte's voice slipped into a sterner tone, her smile fading.

"To who?" You were bewildered by the name, not understanding. Was she talking about Dr. Facilier?

"The Shadow Man. He's tall, with purple eyes and a thin mustache. He calls himself a witch doctor, but daddy told me he's a con artist. You stay away from him now, ya hear? He's nothin' but trouble." Charlotte explained seriously, staring at your reflection in the mirror.

"He told me he makes dreams come true." You thought aloud as you finished styling her hair back into its fancy bun.

"The only dreams that man makes true is nightmares. Promise me you'll stay away from him honey, please. Daddy wouldn't warn me not to talk to him if he wasn't mighty dangerous." She pleaded.

"Sure. I hardly know him, so it shouldn't be too hard to avoid him whilst I stay." You agreed, feeling neutral towards the whole thing.

After all, how dangerous could one man be?