Chapter Four - Run

I took in a deep breath of chilling air that almost seemed to piece my lungs and sent me coughing straight away. I stood up in my fit of coughing only to see black spots cloud my vision and I had to grip the wall behind me for support. The first thing I was aware of was how cold it was and how it shouldn't be this cold inside a house, they reality hit me. Looking around I could see that everything was in tatters. The weapon bags were gone from the corner of the room. There were wood splinters all across the floor, glass shattered across it, the sofas were all torn up ... and then the bodies.

Everything came flooding back and I had to grip the wall harder for support but that one second of stabilization was all I needed. I raced across the room to where Jade was laying and looked for signs of breathing. She was thankfully, I then slapped her lightly on the face but she wouldn't wake up any time soon. She was fine.

I was about to check everyone else when I heard the most stomach churning noise I had heard in all of my life. The sound of coughing and spluttering up blood. I whirled around to see a crumpled body in the corner next to the stairs.

"Jamie!" I whispered as I stumbled across the cluttered floor to get to him not caring what I stood on.

There was a small pool of blood around his head. I was instantly taking off my shirt and pressing it against his head to stop the bleeding. What was the first aid for this situation? I couldn't even remember what there was to do for head wound. Should I sit him up? What if he had a concussion? Would sitting him up effect that? If I sat him up there was a higher risk of haemorrhage. So I had to leave him laying down but coughing up blood, that was bad. If I left him on his back he would definitely choke to death. I rolled him onto his side very carefully and kept the pressure on his head.

"Hey," I said slapping his face lightly. "Hey Jamie, can you hear me?" I asked him. "Jamie?" I asked.

Suddenly I realised I hadn't even checked to see if he was breathing! I had heard him cough up blood but what I that had been him choking to death on it and I was too late? I looked down at him, unable to see if he was breathing by looking at his stomach. I leant my ear down to his nose and felt the slightest little bit of air come out of his nose. Fear pulsed through me. He was going to die!

"Alex!" I shouted, I was crying now. "Alex! Get up you lazy moron!" I shouted.

Everyone was across the room and I couldn't reach them from here. What if Alex was dead or dying too? With my free hand I tucked some lose strands of hair behind my ear to clear my vision before feeling for a pulse on Jamie. I felt the smallest pulse I had ever felt run past my fingers.

"Don't you dare die on me Jamie!" I sobbed. "Don't you dare!" I screamed for Alex again.

Suddenly Jamie's unconscious body lurched to the side and retched up a stinking pile of vomit before falling unconscious again. Not good.

"Alex," I whispered into the silence all around me and a tear fell from my eye.

Jamie was dying and I couldn't save him.

Suddenly his eyes seemed to flicker open and hold open very slightly.