nineteen

CATALINA COULDN'T FEEL HER BODY. She knew she was conscious and she knew she was freezing but she couldnt feel anything. It took her a few moments to realize she was alive, not dead and in the unknown. In searching through all of the emotions of realizing she had lived...her biggest one was relief.

After a good few minutes of willing her body to work she started to feel the hard ground under her, the wetness on the rocks. She was soaked, her clothes weighing her down but not too harshly considering how heavy a dress would have been. When her eyes opened the sun blinded her and the wind blew harshly against her. She moved her limbs one at a time, the water dragging her body down. Most of her escape from the river banks were spent in darkness, her head ached and the light was too bright, even through her eyelids. She crawled until she finally felt the dry grass. When she realized she was in the clear she collapsed, her body fighting another round of unconsciousness as she lay in the grass.

Catalinas' mind wandered to the place it always did, an image of the man she loved filling her mind. Her lungs filled with a new taste of air and she realized she has actually escaped. That she may even find a way to see him again. The hope to spend even a moment in his gaze made her stomach twist, and she found herself actually smiling for what felt like the first time in the few years it had been since they had parted. She remembered his figure in the water and she knew it had to be a sign. She laid in the grass for hours, going over every feature that he had. Her mind was picturing his lips, his eyes, his hands. Over time she had forgotten the minute details...but she felt deep in her bones that she would see them again.

She thought of a world where she was free, where she wouldn't have to bear that man's children, or lay with him, or be with him any longer. The next  man she would lay with would Jon, and if not then she would never lay with another man. She swore it to herself and to the gods, she would never be in that situation again unless it was to Jon.

After awhile she gathered the energy and strength to stand. He stomach growled harshly as she settled into her skin again and she knew she wouldn't survive without food and rest. She had no idea how long she had been out. She assessed her limbs to check for injuries but she managed to only find scrapes and cuts, nothing too worrisome. Her head was still pounding and her body was full of aches but she managed to start walking. She took a deep breath and felt the air fill her waterlogged lungs. Everything she felt was amazing because she was free. She was free.

Catalina looked around, her feet taking her in a direction, pulling her to Jon. She was going to find him. Her hope had been restored the second that she jumped over that bridge. Nothing would stop her now. She swore it.