un

•••

     𝑜𝓃𝒸𝑒 𝓊𝓅𝑜𝓃 𝒶 𝒹𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂
                                       𝖑𝖆𝖓𝖆 𝖉𝖊𝖑 𝖗𝖊𝖞

•••

•••

     ʌısıons ɐɹǝ sǝldoɯ ʍɥɐʇ ʇɥǝʎ sǝǝɯ

•••

•••

"So you mean I won?! And you're just telling me this today?!"

    KIRSTIN WAS OFTEN PREPARED for anything that would come her way. She was usually always ready to take on any battle, whether it was in dance, her relationship, her parent's divorce, her best friend's boy troubles and art issues, her mother's work at the boutique- anything, really, at this point.

    But this? The fact that the head of the company, Esther Koop, had just informed her of this was truly problematic, especially now that she was forced to rush through countless crowds, scramble to the other studio through the surging streets of New York, still clad in her vintage Rolling Stones tee and her Lulu Lemon black leggings and her ballet shoes, something she would never usually do- her dance shoes were too prized and expensive, she would hate for them to get ruined from the muddy waters and stained sidewalks and gritty rubble that she was currently running on- but she had no choice for Ms. Koop stupidly informed her late and now she was rushing all over to basically the other side of NYC dressed like this. Not to mention, how she had to dodge the chasing food carts, the plump grey pigeons cooing- tending to greet her hello-, the bundles of businessmen and models off duty and influencers and actresses and the rich and the homeless and dreamers and livers and killers and lovers and other extraordinary faces of those who roamed and ventured The City.

Her shirt was billowing now, rippling in the breeze she had created, with the aid of the gusts of wind blowing past her, as she ran and ran, leaping gracefully and clumsily over fountains and signs and other obstacles that did not need to be in her way at this moment. She was hurrying, her heart racing, her blood rising and tingling through her vibrating veins, and her mind running as fast as her feet. She needed to get their on time, needed to get there rather than continuing to be surrounded by the faceless shadows and the blurs of blankness blanketing her, rather than trapped in this forest of towering skyscrapers of trembling terror, needing to find her destination, reach her quest before it would be too late, before her spot would be given to the understudy or before she'd find an angry instructor glaring at her for her tardiness, tardiness which she once again did not plan for, as Ms. Koop was truly at fault here, if she were to place the blame on someone, that is.

She gasped, pausing for breath and halting momentarily, as she knew that by doing this, she was drifting away from her dreams. Which couldn't happen just because of a truly stupid miscommunication issue. No way, Jośe, she was not going to be late. She was not going to say goodbye to her dreams, to say "Hasta la Vista, baby," to her lifelong goals, to go, "See you later, crocodile," for what she worked for with the expected silent response of "Not a while, crocodile." Nope, not today.

So, she continued once again. Pacing herself towards the NYCB Rose Studios, scrambling through the streets like a racehorse, focused on the win, focused on just galloping away to said destination, feet flying through the thrill of the rush, nerves swarming like scared bees and growing weeds, withering other opportunities away just to focus on that one big dream that was well-deserved, that was well-earned. Moving and striving towards what would hopefully bring her success, what she knew would truly bring her happiness that her dream was just right.

    And eventually, about twenty minutes later and one minute before being officially late, she made it. She reached the NYCB Rose Studios, her body shaking as she breathed in and relaxed herself.

    This is it, she thought to herself gleefully. This is it.

    With that, she walked inside, looping through the inside of the building as her eyes widened with awe.

    "Wow," she sighed softly, her mouth in a big 'o' as she viewed the vast halls.

It seemed as soon as she arrived, however, not one face recognized her. Not that they would, but she just expected someone to come up and see that she was basically a lost puppy in this new world of dance.

And of course, she spoke too soon. A bitter young man, probably not much older than her, with a caramel beard of spirals of chocolatey strands slipping out of his man bun, already dressed in black tights and a comfy tee as well as dance shoes stepped out of one of the studios, his green eyes dark and glaring.

Seeing her, he immediately stiffened, ambling up to her as he asked her a quick question.

"Who are you?" His gruff voice muttered as she looked him up and down again.

He was truly fit for ballet, both muscular and lean and "perfect," one could say- physically, of course. Needed to work on his attitude though.

"I'm Kirstin Maldonado, the winner of the competition for the NYCB's production of Sleeping Beauty," She confidently declared with a smirk. She was Kirstin Maldonado. She was the winner.

     "You're the star ballerina that they gave me? The one that won the competition?" He said, looking her up and down, scrutinizing her entire appearance. A star ballerina would be nothing compared to this. This girl was too short and she wasn't in her uniform yet and her hair was in an extremely messy bun. No proper star ballerina would dress in this manner. Not to mention at the lack of passion and excitement in her face- there had to have been a mistake. There was no way she could have won the competition.

    "Yeah, and you are?" She said, with a hand on her hip, looking quite pissed by how he was observing her. Yes, she was rather short for a ballerina, but that did not stop her from being a skilled dancer.

"The Avriel Kaplan. The instructor."

•••

    Once upon a dream had she never believed that even as her dream did come true, that there would still be struggles of pessimistic others headed her way. Unfortunately for her it was her instructor. The one that controlled her dream. Meaning that her dream would never be hers to keep, never truly be free.

    Yet, little did she know, VISIONS ARE SELDOM WHAT THEY SEEM.

•••

     Short chapter but hoped you enjoy! I'm experimenting with different fonts and aesthetics here- which obviously isn't unique to me for more authors do this type of stuff, but it's honestly so pleasing that I had to adopt this method as well. Anyways, I love you all so much and hope you have a wonderful day/night! Goodbye loves ❤️❤️❤️!!!