Chapter Seven: A Friend

"There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship."

-Thomas Aquinas

=

Third Person's POV:

Sakura had just barely made it to class on time, she had run as hard and as fast as she could and luckily, she made it in the nick of time. Her teacher, Iruka-sensei, had spared her a questioning glance when she burst into the room panting and at a loss for breath but he dismissed it anyway.

She could see some resentful looks some of her classmates sent towards her when she finally did stop panting, because after all, the training grounds was a long ways from here, but the thing in particular that caught her attention was Naruto's megawatt smile that was directed at her. He was waving at her from his seat.

She smiled back at him and made her way over to the desk. She didn't notice the leg that suddenly popped out in front of her until she ran right into it.

She wasn't quick enough to put her hands out in time. Her head hit her head on the step above the one she was on then her body fell on top of her arms. Her arms, which were covered in bruises, sent tingles of pain about her body. It made the fall hurt more than it normally would.

Sakura bit her lip to keep herself from crying as her classmates started to laugh and call her names.

She could feel someone pick her up off the floor and tried not to wince when a large hand gripped her bruised arm.

"Are you okay Sakura?" A voice asked.

Sakura looked up to her right and stared at the scar that sat on top of Iruka sensei's nose.

"Is Sakura-chan okay?!" She heard in the background.

She smiled slightly, she knew that was Naruto.

"I'm okay," she told them.

Iruka set her on her feet, she stumbled slightly, she felt a little dizzy.

"You might have a bruise on your head later on but you'll be fine," The brown-haired chunnin told her.

As a child as young as Sakura was, Iruka knew that her skull wasn't fully developed so the fall would effect her more then someone older.

She nodded and wobbled over to a concern looking Naruto who looked on the brink of yelling. She flashed him a smile in greeting. The blonde exploded a second after.

"You bastards! What'd you do that for?!" Naruto shouted, his blue eyes narrowed into a glare as her stared at the two boys who tripped her.

The boys stopped laughing and looked at Naruto with something akin to fear in their eyes.

"NARUTO! WHERE DID YOU LEARN THAT WORD?!" Iruka exclaimed loudly.

"Uh..." The blonde started to sweat nervously.

Sakura, for the first time since yesterday, laughed at the expression on Naruto's face.

Naruto decided whatever punishment Iruka would give him was worth it.

=

At lunch, she and Naruto were sitting under a big oak tree with a swing hanging from it. They talked as they enjoyed the comfort of the shade, the blonde talked amiably about his latest visit to Ichiraku ramen.

Naruto seemed to like ramen a lot.

"My absolute favourite flavour has to be pork! Or is it beef? What bout chicken? And there's miso too.... UGH! They're all just so good! I can't decide!" He shouted, his hands gripping her spky hair.