Chapter 8: Time

In the books that Sakura has read, time was often enough talked about like a whimsical and forever undefined creature. It was the center piece of many philosophies, that while she understood- she was not sure she necessarily agreed. 

However, one thing she did agree with, was that time was a very fickle thing.

On her worst days, when her father would have a rare unquenchable urge to drink anything would burn the back of his throat and would have no problem throwing his empty sake bottles at her, as though she was the one who made his precious alcohol disappear. Or when her mother would be waiting for her at home, sitting quietly in her chair with a cold look in those ice-like orbs as they landed on Sakura's form. Her mother would then go on to talk about how her friends had such beautiful children, how smart and utterly talented were- how they were everything she had wanted in a child. The unspoken "Everything you are not" was a slap to the face she was very familiar with, and the one that came after hurt much, much more. 

On those days, time seemed to still- like it couldn't be bothered to let the seconds tick by as they are supposed to. It took her father eighteen minutes to lose the energy to pick her by her hair and smash her head against the wall, before he would drunkenly stumble to another room in the house. It took her mother nine minutes to vent out her frustration, before she would go back to the kitchen wash her hands clean from the blood that had dripped on her palms and fingers.

Whether it was eighteen or nine minutes, on those days- it might has well been a few hours. On the days she would pray for it to just be over- it was the days time seemed endless. 

But, on her best days-

"Sakura-chan!" 

Time blurred by in a blink. 

Sakura turned, her bob-like hair fell into her face as she locked eyes with the blonde running down the busied street with a smile that rivaled the sun. She let him catch up to her, and they quickly fell into step beside each other as they walked to the academy. He talked animatedly about his latest idea for defacing the Hokage monument, earning an amused giggle from the pinkette. 

It was days like today, when her one, true friend would laugh alongside her and make her forget the sub-zero home that awaited her or the flittering pain in her abdomen as time would fly by effortlessly, that gave her the strength to endure those seemingly eternal moments. 

"Ya know Sakura-chan, we're getting awfully close to graduation." Naruto suddenly said.

Sakura held a hand to her chin, "Yeah, I guess you're right. It's only a few days away." 

"Can you believe it?! It feels like only yesterday that we first met and now here we are years later about to become full-fledged ninja and take me one step closer to my dream!" He spoke excitedly.

She smiled, "We still have to pass the exam, Naruto-kun." 

The boy paled, "Ahh! Don't remind me! I've failed that thing twice already- but this time I know I'll pass! Especially with the extra practice you helped me with!" 

Sakura blushed a shade of red akin to a tomato, "I- uh.. I didn't do all that much, I just helped you with your chakra control and the hand signs...." 

"Don't be so modest Sakura-chan! You helped me a bunch! Try to be more confident- Oh, but don't be like that bastard Sasuke, he's too cocky for his own good." Naruto said, with a slightly bitter tone as he grumbled. 

The pinkette laughed lightly before a frown overtook her face when Naruto looked ahead. 

Sasuke had changed since their early academy days, particularly after that one instant when he hadn't shown up for class. He had always kept more to himself but when he had returned to class a few days later, words like recluse and withdrawn could not measure up to his new demeanor.