00 | intro

♠ ♠ ♠

♠ ♠ ♠

If you fell in love with a monster, would you follow him to hell - even if it'll kill you?

♠ ♠ ♠

IT WAS ONCE said that those who chose to dance with the devil did so not out of foolishness nor impulsivity; but because those mortals were the reckless people.

That they were the ones who craved danger in whatever forms they could find, who were drawn in by the premise of unsightly evil, who were fascinated by the dark and the deadly and the dangerous.

Chae Luna never thought she was one of them.

Living a humdrum, everyday life in the city of Busan, she was contented with her small apartment and her slightly too-fat cat and her tendency to isolate herself from other living souls except for the old lady downstairs. Her entire existence itself bordered on normalcy - just an ordinary 22 year old with an unsatisfactory job enough to barely make a living.

Except, of course, for the fact that she couldn't remember anything at all about her past up until the age of 10.

A gaping hole in her memory, much like that of a rip in a time-continuum. It was black, and it was abstract, and it was always niggling at her. A constant nothingness that chewed away at her sense of self.

Luna had explained it away, rationalizing that children often found it hard to remember their childhood. Deep down, though, she knew this case wasn't like the others. Who else would have experienced a complete wipe-out, not even remembering the faces of her supposedly late parents?

That she didn't justify to herself - her uncle did.

"Car crash," he would grumpily bark out every time she managed to gather up enough courage to ask him about it.

Over time, she stopped trying to.

And so Luna sequestered herself in a dingy rooftop apartment, filling her head with tax numbers and financial statements, spending her days trying to not let the loneliness get to her too much.

Normal. All so, so normal.

Until the day he came, and changed everything.

And Chae Luna found not only her own self, but that she was enraptured. By the shadow of a man who wasn't really one - by his dulcet tone, his sharp-edged soul, his gossamer-like web of intimacy and lies.

Before she knew it, she was a mouse playing into a calico cat's paws, an innocent soul heading straight into a well-laid trap.

A girl in love with a devil.

Because what belied Luna was a web of intricacy she never imagined existed between the shadows of Busan - an otherwordly, secret realm populated by strikingly strange creatures.

And as she dove into the fire headfirst, she found that she did not scream until the blazing heat had scorched her veins and turned them to ash.

Until it was too late.

(fae!au; self-destruction!au)

♠ ♠ ♠

D E D I C A T I O N

To all my friends here on Wattpad - all of you lovely, wonderful souls have made my life a million times better with your existence. I owe this to you all, always. You are all the starlight amongst my darkness. I love you.

♠ ♠ ♠

W A R N I N G

Smut
Swearing
Slight graphic content
Anxiety portrayal (if that triggers any of you)

♠ ♠ ♠

N O T E

This book will be released on the 1st of May (although, who knows? I might get impatient, hee). Please add it to your reading lists & library so you'll get the update when the first chapter is published!

Another note: there will be no routine/weekly updates for this book. This fic is more of a side project, so updates will be sporadic, but I'll still work on it as best as I can - as I have two other ongoing fics. I might change the title sometime in the future, too.

Lastly, this fic is pretty dark and is different from my usual writing. I would appreciate feedback and constructive criticisms - please do share your thoughts! Thank you for reading this, lovelies.

♠ ♠ ♠