03 | death's tune

♠ ♠ ♠

♠ ♠ ♠

Would you trade souls with the devil to save someone you love, even if it means he'll have you forever?

♠ ♠ ♠

I NEVER MADE it to my uncle's that night.

Instead, as the realization sunk into my skin like icicles, piercing the veins webbing my beating heart, I spun around on my heel and began to run.

Run, in search of the nameless man who knew my own.

And so I weaved in and out of the crowds, pushing amongst the mass of humanity in winter coats and knitted scarves, eyes frantically roaming the streets for one dressed in crimson red attire.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted him.

Dread coursed through me as the silver-haired stranger turned his head to the left, allowing me a glimpse of his partial smirk - as if he knew I was on his trail. As if he enjoyed the chase.

For a short second, his gaze flickered to meet mine, and this time there was no hesitation.

His eyes flashed a vivid emerald, as green as summer grass.

Holy -

Heel-encased feet spun, and so he began to move again, drawing up the sides of his coat to hide his face. As if he belonged to the air, his lithe body slipped amongst the crowds once more, lost to the ebb and flow of people's nine p.m shadows.

Adrenaline rushed through my ears, the blaring panic still pulsing in my blood making it hard for me to focus. Still I moved, my movements mirroring his as best as I can, elbows and bags digging into my sides as I chased after him.

But my vision was obscured by the crowd, and it didn't help that I was shaking all over with growing anxiety. This all seemed to slow me down as the stranger drifted in and out of sight; the more that I ran after him, the faster he seemed to disappear.

More than once, he would ever-so-slightly tilt his chin towards me, as if marking my progress.

Cat and mouse, predator and prey, hunter and hunted. We continued the game for another street or two, my breath growing hoarser by the second, until he slipped around a middle-aged woman pushing a pram and completely blinked out of sight.

"What even-" I cursed, gaze flittering around in panic as all traces of him left the surroundings. Maybe he's running now.

So I did as well, my legs exerting physical effort they haven't been accustomed to for years now. But by the time I'd reached the nearest intersection, he was nowhere in sight at all.

For a moment, all I did was stand there, feet apace and lungs begging for air.

Disappointment came in quiet, relentless waves as I let the maelstrom of snow decorate me in bone-white flakes; let the red yellow green of changing streetlights flicker like ghost lights in the background as I continue to catch my breath.