01 | silver shadow

♠ ♠ ♠

Would you end a soul, if it saves yours?

♠ ♠ ♠

A MONTH BEFORE I TURNED twenty-two, a silver-haired man began to mysteriously appear in quicksilver flashes and night glimpses.

At first it was a mere flicker, a barely-there shadow that trailed my own through the sprawling map of the city. Sometimes I'd walk home and would happen to catch a glimpse of ash-grey hair out of the corner of my eyes, slipping in amongst the sides of the buildings, as if following me wherever I go.

Everytime I looked, though, he would always be gone.

Othertimes I'd feel an eerie premonition of being followed; a tingling sense of alert resulting in goosebumps that felt like spiders crawling up my spine and a feeling of dread forming in the pit of my stomach.

And it happened so often these past days, yet I chose to ignore the uneasy feeling. Instead I'd tried to quell my fear and explain it away, denying the fact that I now had a trail of silver tracing my wake.

Because that was all I knew about him - that his hair was a tuft of luscious grey, that his slender figure was always hidden in an ordinary, nondescript coat.

And in a huge city like that of Busan's, there were countless guys with silver hair and similar fashion attire, making it hard for me to decide whether I really did have a stalker or if it was just a coincidence.

Living in the metropolitan area for a decade led me to eventually shrug it off, though, not particularly as concerned as I should've been. It was a huge place, after all, and it goes without saying that there's always danger in every corner of the city.

So I merely tried to change routes or walk amongst crowds, sometimes grabbing my set of keys tightly in my palm, ready to stab any intruders with the sharp pointy ends.

After a week of nothing remarkable having happened, though, I foolishly began to relax. Rationalized, too - I told myself it actually could just be a coincidence after all.

That, or my imaginative mind had overreacted; after all, I'd lived by my own for years with little to no parental guidance. I was definitely bound to be more on guard than others, considering.

So I paid it no heed, and instead went about my life to and fro work, cuddling with my overweight-but-still-adorable cat Bo, stressing over numbers on financial statements that don't seem to ever balance.

But danger was an imminent, seeping cloak of shadows pooling around my feet, and before I knew it, I was dancing the tune of death; a marionette whose strings begun to sway to that of a devil's lyre.