Chapter Twenty-Nine (unedited)

[ please read the important author's note at the bottom. thanks x ] 

Chapter Twenty-Nine -- Elliot's POV

So here was the thing about getting arrested.

To me, there were three phases. I didn’t know about Vienna, but to me, there were just three.

Phase One, getting hit with the numbing shock that you’re actually getting arrested. For peeing.

Phase Two, become paralyzed with fear and dumbstruck and wondering if this is actually happening. Also known as denial.

And phase three, trying to weasel your way out of the situation and the handcuffs that were slapped on to you without a second thought.

“Officer, are the handcuffs really necessary?” I couldn’t help but ask from the backseat of the cop car. This cop only had one set of handcuffs (which to me, seemed really unprofessional) so the only solution was to handcuff us to each other. Which was beyond stupid, since either of us could just drag the other out of the car and bolt. But the doors were locked shut, and beside me, Vienna was already beginning to hyperventilate.

“It’s all part of the process, son,” the portly officer replied back. I noticed he didn’t start the engine just yet. He lost his keys, apparently, and was trying to pat down his shirts and pants to remember where they were. “Now hush, you have the right to remain silent, and blah blah blah.”

Blah blah blah? I shot Vienna a sideways glance, as if to say Are we being punk’d right now?

I could tell she was trying not to flip out. Or panic. She wasn’t doing too great. I could feel the sweat and the warmth of her hand that was handcuffed to mine, even if we weren’t touching.

“Aha!” the cop screamed form the front. He had found his keys and thrust them into the ignition with a flourish. “Maybe a phone call to your parents and some time in a waiting cell can teach you kids not to urinate and pollute in a government-protected national park. There's fines for that, you know.”

“A-A waiting cell?” Vienna’s voice broke. “He can’t be serious,” she said, turning to me.

“And after all the things we’ve done in the past, this is how it’s going to end,” I mumbled.

“What?” Vienna turned her head towards me. I noticed how big and full her eyes actually were when they were worried. Maybe she should look worried more. It wasn’t exactly a bad look.

“Nothing, forget I even said anything,” I meant to say, but it came out more like an angry snap. Vienna recoiled, a hurt look on her face as she stared out at the window. “Vienna, I didn’t mean—“

“No, I’m sorry for even pointing out a place for you to pee. It’s my fault I didn’t see the sign,” she said, still facing away.

“No, I should have seen it.”

Vienna lowered her voice, “This cop’s out of his mind if he thinks he’s actually arresting us for peeing off the side of the road.” Her eyes flickered from my face to the driver’s seat. “Like, come on!” she whispered, “Who the hell cares if someone urinates on the soil anyway? Who cares if the soil’s apart of some national park?”

“Obviously, this cop cares,” I muttered disdainfully.

Suddenly, Vienna yanked on her handcuffed arm, in return yanking my hand too.

“Ow!”

“Elliot, what’ll happen to your Uncle’s truck?”

Oh crap. A deep feeling of dread started to settle in my guts. Uncle Terrence may not have driven that truck around a lot, but he’ll still kill me for leaving it.