S1-Ep19: Elizabeth Has a Drink

Elizabeth didn't know what to do with herself. The room felt like it was spinning. Someone placed a hand on her shoulder - meant to be comforting but instead offering nothing but empty weight. Newt's attempted suicide had thrown everyone off balance. Thank God Alby had spotted someone on the wall and was going over to tell them off about it when the figure jumped. Thank God Alby had been there to get help and make sure Newt was in a stable condition. Thank God Alby had been there to muffle the sounds of Elizabeth's screaming against his chest when she saw what happened.

She was in the Med-hut with Alby, Minho, Nick, and the two Med-jacks, Jeff and Clint. Nick was pacing angrily in front of Newt's bed while Jeff and Clint looked him over. His leg was bent at an unnatural angle and there was blood in his hair, but they hadn't yet found the source. Minho was sitting with his palms together in a chair by the door and Alby was leaning against the wall, his hand on Elizabeth's shoulder.

She felt like crying. She felt like screaming. Never in a million years had she expected Newt to do something like this. She looked over at his unconscious form, spread out on the bed like a rag doll. She looked at his closed eyes; at those boyish freckles dotting his neck. She knew he was sad, but she hadn't known he had been like...like this. What had triggered this depression, this pain? She always worked so hard to make him happy. She always tried so hard to be there for him, as a friend. She had done so much, and yet so little. Why hadn't her attempts - no, why hadn't she been enough for him?

Aly squeezed her shoulder and said something, but she didn't register his words. Everything was so blurry. She blinked hard and stared up at the roof, wishing that there was a hole to reveal the stars. Alby shook her and this time pulled her to her feet.

"Hey listen, we've been talking and we think you should go to bed. It's late, and Newt wouldn't want you worryin' none about him, anyway," Alby said. She tried to say something, but all that came out was a pitiful sob. Embarrassed and terrified, Elizabeth shrugged him away and shook her head, trying to wipe the tears away.

"I will not," she choked out. Alby and Minho shared a look, and then turned to Nick, who had finally stopped pacing. He scratched his head and then took a step forward and wrapped an arm around Elizabeth.

"Let's go," he said gently. "Come on."

Elizabeth didn't have time to react before Nick took her hand and led her away. Somehow she managed to walk the whole way to her hut, stumbling and crying, feeling scared and alone and so hurt. All she could think of was Newt, Newt, Newt. She cared about him so much, and this is how he repaid her? By jumping off the Wall and trying to leave her? Earlier that night he had told her that she was his best friend. Best friends didn't do this to each other. Best friends didn't hug you one minute and then hurt you the next.

When they arrived at her hut, Nick sat her on her cot and meant to get her a cup of water, but was stopped by Elizabeth grabbing him and hugging him. She'd never felt so panicked and terrified.

What if he dies! What if I never see him again! Oh shuck what if he dies! He's my friend! I don't want to lose my friend! Newt!

"Shhh, it's okay, Elizabeth. It's okay." Nick returned the hug and Elizabeth's whole body shook as she held Nick with all the strength she had.

She wept harder than she had the day Chris had harassed her. She wept harder than she ever thought possible, and Nick let her. He sat there and let her hug him and cry into his shirt. Surprisingly, his behavior wasn't entirely shocking. He had never really expressed interest or even friendliness towards her before, but she remembered when Dave was in the Slammer with a concussion. Nick had been like a mother duck then, too. Rather than taking advantage of the fragility of the moment, he set aside their differences and offered what little he could as comfort.