S2-Ep4: A Budding Romance

Elizabeth was a good addition to the group of Runners. Even though it had been Alby's suggestion, it was Minho's ultimate decision to let her join them. And he was proud of his choice. She had good reflexes and was a fast learner. She didn't ask too m any unnecessary questions, and caught on to the way they mapped almost right away. Her only problem was her speed. During her first few days in the Maze, they ran slower and she was able to keep up with them. When they started at their normal pace again, however, she started to fall behind. She was fairly good at staying with them, but was always lagging towards the back, and by the time they were finished, her face was red and she couldn't speak for lack of breath.

He gave her credit for being able to keep up with them at all, and she never complained which was more than he could say for some of the other shanks, who would sometimes whine just for the heck of it. Unfortunately for Minho, Newt had become Elizabeth's personal bodyguard, and watched over her like a hawk. Every time Elizabeth came back exhausted, he would pull Minho aside and start questioning him about everything that had happened. It was ironic since he bothered Elizabeth at least half as much. As far as Minho could tell, their relationship was exactly the same as it had always been. Except now Newt was a bit more...possessive or something.

Newt had never exactly told any of them outright that he and Elizabeth were an official couple, but he alluded to it several times, and was more open about staring at her during meals or while he was working in the gardens. He'd taken over Elizabeth's spot as a Track-hoe, and ended up fitting in well there. Anyway, it was obvious that their relationship had stepped up a notch. Minho was happy for them - they made one hell of a good couple - and he appreciated the fact that they hadn't shown any public displays of affection. It said a lot about their relationship, that they cared deeply enough for one another that they could be comfortable going about their days as usual and didn't have to be touching each other constantly or whatever for romantic satisfaction.

Still, though, Minho wasn't the only Glader who was curious about their physical relationship. It made a good topic to chat about when neither of them were around.

---

"I miss gardening with you guys," Elizabeth said to Zart and Snow at dinner. She was in her usual place next to Newt, who was talking with Clint. Gally was on her other side, and every once in a while he would accidentally jab her in the ribs from the sheer force he was using to eat his food. It was annoying, but it didn't distract her nearly as much as Newt's leg pressed up against her own, did. She was hyper-aware of his warmth, and every time he shifted, his leg would brush up against hers, or his arm would bump into hers.

"Yeah, Newt's good, but he ain't you," Zart said. Elizabeth flushed with pleasure.

"That's so nice of you to say!" she exclaimed.

"Excuse me?" Newt asked, picking up on the conversation. "You're just embarrassed to tell her that I'm better at it than she was."

"Oh?" Snow raised an eyebrow, "Weren't you the one who started pulling up all the herbs because you thought they were weeds?"

"Yes," Zart added, "And weren't you the one who who took "these carrots look completely dried up!" too literally and then proceeded to drown them?"

"You said they were thirsty," Newt mumbled, his ears turning pink. Zart and Snow looked at each other and Elizabeth laughed.

"Doph yugh like runnipt?" Gally asked. His mouth was full of food.

"Runnipt?" Elizabeth grinned and Gally glared at her before swallowing his food.

"I said, do you like Running?"

Elizabeh shrugged and decided to stick with a vague, "It's fine," instead of going into detail. In all honesty the answer was probably closer to what she felt about it, anyway. She didn't hate it, but she didn't exactly enjoy it, either. Everything was just so fast-paced, and none of the others really talked that much. Back when she was a Track-hoe, she'd get to talk to Zart and the others. Sure she probably talked their ears off, but they'd never gotten angry or annoyed about it. That she knew, of course.