S2-Ep6: Tyn's Secret

"I don't like him," Gally said. "They shouldn't have sent him up." He could say the same thing about Chris. He'd been let out of the Slammer and was as annoying as always. He wasn't talking about his hut-mate at the moment, however - he was talking about Tyn.

Elizabeth's face did that scrunchy-thing it always did when she was thinking or confused about something.

"I think he's sweet. I know he's not like you, Gals, but give him a chance. You might actually have something in common!"

Gally snorted. Something in common with that four-eyed, skinny, slinthead? No way.

"Of course you like him, Elizabeth. You like everyone," Gally said sarcastically. He rolled his eyes and sat on the edge of the well.

"Not true," Elizabeth said. So quick to defend herself. He raised an eyebrow when she crossed her arms.

"Chris doesn't count," he said.

"What do you mean? Of course he counts!"

"Yeah, but nobody likes Chris."

"I don't think-" Elizabeth started weakly.

He cut her off: "Trust me, Elizabeth. Nobody. After what that shank did to you, everybody's done a good job of actively avoiding him. He doesn't have any friends." Gally was telling her the truth. The Gladers often talked about how awful he was whenever Elizabeth wasn't around. They were all upset about what he'd almost done to her.

"That's...kind of sad," Elizabeth mumbled. Gally laughed at that.

"Between you and me, Elizabeth, I don't think he cares. He doesn't give a klunk about finding friends because in his mind he doesn't need any."

"Well it's not right," Elizabeth said with an air of stubbornness, "Everybody needs friends."

Gally snorted. She was so predictable. He ran a hand through his hair and looked around. There wasn't anyone else around at the moment. It was too early in the morning for that; the sun hadn't even started peeking from the trees, yet. He and Elizabeth were hanging out by the well, which they hadn't done for a long time. Usually he wasn't such an early riser, but for some reason he couldn't sleep with the thought of Chris snoring beside him. He didn't sleep well, and from the looks of Elizabeth, she hadn't either. There were slight bags under her eyes, and she carried herself in a way that reminded him of a slug. He didn't want to pry, but she wasn't normally awake at this hour, either.

He was glad to provide her with some company - Newt was most likely still sound asleep in his hut and wouldn't be waking up any time soon. Since he'd been a Runner, Gally had assumed that he was a morning person, but ever since switching to Track-hoe, he barely woke up in time for breakfast. From the looks of it, he'd never really been a morning person. Elizabeth liked the mornings and tended to head to bed earlier than some of the others, Newt included. Often Newt would come back to the fire-pit after walking Elizabeth to her hut and spending some time with her there. Presumably she was asleep when he did this.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Elizabeth asked him, jolting him from his thoughts.

Gally shrugged: "It's funny how you and Newt have so much in common and at the same time are so different. That's what I was thinking."

Elizabeth wrinkled her nose again, but she was smiling good-naturedly. "You were thinking about me and Newt? That is funny."

"Whatever," Gally mumbled. He distracted himself from embarrassment by pulling on the rope that led to the bucket down in the well. It had a good amount of water in it; some shank had forgotten to draw it out after letting it down.