3. get away from my roots

fuck my life, my boss called me and guess what? i got fucking fired because apparently i mixed up my shifts and i was supposed to go in right after class but i never showed

god i knew i should've double checked my schedule today but of fucking course i didn't. why? cause i'm an idiot.

he used that line that most people seem to use, you know, about how it's not my fault how i was raised and people should at least give me a chance before they assume i'm some sort of south side scum.

like most times i was a south side scum, i've stolen things, been in trouble with the law, i walk around with weapons on me, i make money by scamming or by dealing.

so sue me for thinking i could get away from my roots for awhile and just live a semi normal life, a life where i actually go to bank to cash my checks, a live where i didn't have to carry a gun wherever i went. just a live that i dreamed of having.

max had texted me right after with sad faces. i knew that we had a great connection so i invited him for frozen yogurt when he was free.

i was just walking down the street and i heard my phone ringing so i let out a sigh and put it up to my ear without looking at the caller ID.

"what?" i asked assuming it was my boss, well former boss now.

"damn, mel. you okay?" i heard kev asked over the phone.

"oh, sorry kev, rough day. anyways, what's up?" i asked him.

"well, lip is here at the alibi and he's talking about dropping out of school, would you talk to him?" kevin asked me.

somehow i knew this was going to happen, i knew that after his rant this morning he was going to say he wanted to just give up.

"i would but i'm not the best role model to be giving advice considering i have to drop out too." i told kev.

"what the hell, why?" kevin asked me.

"well, i got fired from my job so i won't find enough money to stay." i told him.

"why don't you just work somewhere else?" kevin asked me.

"there's no other place that's close enough to my house and the campus so it just wouldn't work." i replied as kevin let out a sigh.

"can you still come and talk to lip, i have a feeling he'll wanna see you right now." kevin told me.

"yeah, i'm on my way." i replied hanging up the phone.