11. best fucking friend

i was back at my grandmothers house and i was doing some laundry since my grandma was napping

i was back at my grandmothers house and i was doing some laundry since my grandma was napping. i heard my phone vibrate and i looked down and grabbed it.

i got a text message from ian telling me to go outside. i went and grabbed my jacket and my hat and gloves and i walked outside to see ian was standing by the sidewalk.

i didn't know why he was here, i thought he was just avoiding me. why would he be here? is he apologizing?

"why are you acting so weird with me?" is the first thing ian asked me.

"excuse me? actually no, excuse you?" i said.

i literally couldn't believe what i was hearing. i was acting weird? yeah sure.

"you just seem different around me." ian said putting his hands in his pockets.

"maybe because you left without a goodbye. you had me worried sick, ian. every fucking day i couldn't shake the thought that maybe you were dead and you were never coming back. i thought i was never gonna see you again. then when you finally come back i have to fucking drag you here then you just avoid me." i said as ian looked into my eyes.

"mel, i'm still here and i just want everything to go back to the way it was. i've changed." ian told me.

"do you have any idea how much hell i went through when you were gone, i left you messages and i never even got as much as a fucking post card. i even went with mickey to come back and get you after you just acted like a dick to me the first time i saw you in the club." i said as tears welled up in my eyes.

"then why did you come back for me?" ian asked me as i let out a sigh.

"because i made a promise that no matter what i wouldn't turn my back on you. i can't just break that promise ian." i told him.

"and why not?" ian asked me.

"because you're my fucking best friend! you get that? you're my best fucking friend in the whole world and i can't just pretend like you're a stranger and leave you to struggle on your own." i told him.

"maybe you should." ian replied as i felt my eyes soften.

when i looked into his eyes it was like i could see he was struggling with something but i couldn't put my finger on what it was exactly.

"ian you can't do this, you're not gonna push me away." i told him as i put my hand on his shoulder but he brushed it off.

"mel, i'm doing this for your own good." ian told me.

"no, don't pull that bullshit. don't tell me you're protecting me from getting hurt because that's not right. you were there to deal with my shit all the time so, please, just let me be there for you because i swear to god i'll do whatever i can to help you." i said as he looked up at me.