Temptation.

Oswald's POV

I just couldn't resist it any longer. I needed to feel the warmth of Ed's lips on mine, and I needed to hear those three words.

I deepen the kiss as Ed turns me onto the wall, carefully putting my back against it. This is all so surreal- just yesterday, I would've never thought we'd be here.

Ed's hands travel up the sides of my face and into my hair. I slowly lift my injured arm up and over his neck to wrap around him.

I wish our touch could last forever.

His lips soften; I feel something wet on my burning cheeks. Dazed, I hesitate to pull away, but when I do, I realize that Edward is crying.

"Ed? Wh- what's wrong? Did I do something wrong?" I take my arms down and wipe a tear off of his face.

He looks down at me and plants a kiss on my forehead. "No, everything is perfect. You're perfect. I'm just... scared."

"Scared? There's nothing to be afraid of. I would never do anything to hurt you ever again...."

"Oswald," he whispers to me, "you keep me from s- seeing different versions of who I can be. But what if someone darker just completely takes over one day, and harms you? Those things I did to you before, the harm I caused... I do not  want you being put through that again. I can't get rid of... o- of this g- guilt...." Ed breaks down into a sob and slowly crashes into my arms, like he's done before.

I missed this, but I wonder why Ed can't get his mind off the negative things. 

"Ed, you're not going to hurt me. Please, Ed- Edward, look into my eyes. You're not going to hurt me. We'll get through whatever is going on with you. I'm gonna help you, no matter what it takes. I care about you too much to let you be so upset."

"I don't think I could survive another day without you, Oswald," Ed sniffles. I pull back and cradle his face in my hands.

"Then I will never leave you again." Ed smiles and nods.

"This- this is so embarrassing," he chuckles. "I'm such a mess. I want the... I want the best for you."

"Ed," I whisper, "I think you're the best for me. And y- you're not a mess! You're just a little broken, as am I. We'll keep each other whole. Now, how 'bout that wine?"

He grabs my hand, and off we go.

***

Ed sits on the couch in front of the fireplace.
I come up to him with a couple glasses and a bottle of Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva- a wine from Spain that's been in the cellar for over a decade, I believe.

I guess he was lost in thought, because he seems startled at my presence. 

"Oh, Oswald!  What did you choose?" I show Ed the bottle. "Ah, Viña Tondonia," he says lightly. Hearing him speak another language is oddly attractive- he does it so effortlessly. "A red wine. I've never had it. Sit down already."

I sit close to Ed on his left as I've done times before. "You started the fire up," I observe, filling a glass for him.

"Yeah," he replies. "Nostalgic. I'm remembering the night we sat here together after you saved me from Butch."

"It's a bit blurry, who did the saving," I say, handing Ed his glass. He takes a sip and smiles.

 "I'm, uh," he starts, "I'm still not quite as intelligent as I used to be, but my memories with you are crystal clear. Can we talk about that night?"

"Ed, that was an entirely different era-"

"I thought you were going to kiss me that night." My cheeks burn. I say nothing. I hadn't thought he'd noticed that I'd backed out of kissing him.... "You know," he continues, "I didn't know much about love. When you leaned in for that... hug, I saw it as a chance to find out if this type of relationship was even plausible."

Oh.
Oh.

Poor clueless Ed.... Could I have helped him and this come sooner if I'd confided in myself?

I can see him starting to struggle with finding words. "No need for any further explanation," I say, taking a long sip of wine. "What matters now is the fact that you're with me, and we can move forward from here. I... have my regrets, though. I was so tempted to kiss you... but I was afraid of being rejected. Same case with the next day, where I-"

"Tried to confess your feelings and failed? At the time, I was hoping that was the case. But the confession never came, so I assumed... you know.... Wait, that's... is that why you invited me to dinner that same night?"

"All piecing together now, huh? Maybe if I'd acted faster.... Hell, if I'd told you to come without getting wine, things would be different."

Ed's expression turns a bit cold. "Isabella..." he whispers.

"That's enough," I scoff. "We have our wine now, it's all okay."

I smile at him in attempt to get rid of the tension, then raise my glass. "To us, and all we've overcome."

"I'll drink to that," Ed beams. We clink our glasses together and drink. He then sets his alcohol on the table next to him and stares at me. 
"Oswald... I really would do anything for you."

I finish the red liquid and set the glass down, returning Ed's glance. My right arm travels over his shoulder.

I'm getting major déjà vu. But this time, things will go right. No backing out, no lack of wine, no women to worry about....

I lean in close to Ed's face, first taking in his presence and looking deep into beautiful brown eyes. I smell the sweet acidity of our drink and I see the parting of his lips. Mine make their way onto his. The soft exchange makes me melt into him, eyes closing and hands moving lazily across one another. This is what should've happened before. But it's happening now, and that is what matters.

His palm rubs against my back and he pulls me in more, intensifying the kiss. My thumb traces along Ed's cheekbone, and I feel him grinning into our buss.

God, I am so in love with this man.