B R O W N

CHAPTER ONE—BROWN

CHAPTER ONEBROWN

"I am attracted to generic or 'industrial' colours; paper bag brown, file cabinet gray, industrial green, that kind of thing." - Robert Mangold ]

Dull. That's how Jungkook would describe himself. He had dark hair with dark eyes, everything a mud color. He had bunny teeth and thin pink lips, a big nose and small ears. He was tall with a bit of muscle, but everything else meant nothing. He was a boring person, everything he laid eyes on made him feel empty inside. All he knew was pain. Depression and loneliness were his favorite words. He didn't have a good life. No one in his family did and no one he met did. Maybe it was because of him; he was a curse to everyone around him, misery seemed to be the only thing they understood. Jungkook didn't have many friends. Taehyung was the only one but they hardly spoke, so he couldn't count him as one anymore. It's been three years since they last spoke, Taehyung's last words being, "good luck."

He doesn't speak with his parents at all. When they found out that he was dating a guy, they treated him differently. They acted as if he was a disease, telling him not to visit and to stay away from the youngers in the family. They didn't want him plaguing and destroying their family name. Jungkook didn't mind though; he'd rather be nonexistent to them thn be mistreated because of who he loved. It worked out for a little bit though. He moved in with his boyfriend, Jimin at that time. But things don't always work out.

Jimin, a few months after he moved in, left Jungkook for another person, kicking him out of the apartment. Jungkook didn't know what to do. He couldn't call his parents and he didn't know where Taehyung was. He had no one to help him. He eventually got himself an apartment and relaxed a little. It wasn't anything fancy; the paint was chipping and the furniture that came with it was old and ratty, but it was all he could afford from his low income job. People continued to come and go from his life and he always found himself being screwed over, so he gave up on life itself.

The beauty life once held was now covered in a thick, grimy miasma that dominated his perception of it. He wished everything could end; his suffering, his loneliness, his sadness. He never understood why they things that happened, happened to him and he thought that if a meteor came and hit the earth and came straight for him, he wouldn't move an inch.

The one thing Jungkook did enjoy was the bitter taste of coffee. The smell of the coffee shop made him almost calm. He got his coffee black because it was dull like he was. Today was planned to be a normal day filled with misery, but one thing got in the way of that.

A man he's never seen before sat by the windows, clad in a brown fluffy sweater with brown words embedded in it. He wore brown pants and brown and white sneakers, and in his hands was a clear cup with a light yellow liquid inside. He guessed it was lemonade. Jungkook raised a brow in confusion. Brown was such a mundane color, yet when it was on this man it seemed to be brighter than the color yellow. He watched as the man sipped on the green straw, watching the world move through the thin sheet of glass that separated him from the outside. He wanted to know why he was alone. Was he just like him? Did he also not have friends or was he just spending the day alone by himself? He was curious. Why was he wearing a mud-colored brown? What's so good about brown? He wanted to know—needed to know—why he was so intrigued.

So he got up from his spot in the corner and walked over, sitting down in front of him. He turned his head and stared at Jungkook, the confusing showing in his gaze. "Hi..." he said cautiously. Jungkook didn't blame him. He did sort of just sit himself down without asking to.

"I'm Jungkook," he said, taking a drink of his coffee. "I had a question for you."

"Oh." He turned fully so that he was sitting properly with both feet on the ground and he looked at Jungkook. "A question? What's there to question about me?"

Jungkook gave a nod and continued to stare at the man for a few minutes, admiring the color on him. It made the man's brown eyes stick out oddly enough, showing him the orange that surrounded his pupils. He shook the thoughts from his head and began to speak. "I was just wondering why you are wearing brown."

"Brown?" the man asked, looking down at his clothing and back up. "What's the problem with brown?"

"How can you make such a monotonous color look exhilarating?"

The man chuckled, leaning forward with a wide smile to his mouth and to his eyes. Jungkook was a little confused but stayed still, watching the man in front of him. His plump lips parted and his soft voice rang through his ears.

"Dull colors are always more intriguing because they hold the most mysteries."