Chapter 3

He had a bad feeling about something.

Goblin preferred to sleep in the academy, he felt more comfortable there. Besides, it was not like any of the Vikings would let him sleep in their homes, anyway. After night fell, the Skrill opted to stay inside the Academy where he would not bother anyone, and he was did not wish to sleep with the rest of the village dragons just yet. He was still new, after all.

However, he was starting to regret that decision.

Goblin felt like he was being watched, but everything around him was darkness. He could hear footsteps outside; it could not be any of the teens or their dragons, the scent he had caught did not belong to any of them. Goblin sniffed the air, and sensed the smell of a metal he had not sensed in Berk, which meant that whoever was roaming around was not a villager from Berk.

Goblin was startled when he heard the wheels of the gate creak, and saw it open. A loud growl started rising from his throat, his eyes became slits, and he let a few sparks of electricity cackle around his body as a warning. The shadows approaching him had no trace of fear, but reverence and awe.

"Look at him, he's truly majestic..."

"Imagine what we could do with such a powerful dragon..."

"Remember, men, subdue the Skrill, but do not harm him. Dagur wants him alive."

Dagur... Goblin realized who there men were. Thornado had told him all about the Berserkers and how they were set on capturing him to destroy Berk, not to mention their leader, the blood-thirsty Dagur, had a personal vendetta against Hiccup and Toothless and wanted to use his power over lighting to destroy them both.

In other words, Berserkers were enemies of Berk.

As the Berserkers drew closer, Goblin hissed and crawled back, but felt the wall against his scales. There was no way out of this, he would have to fight. But how could he attack something he couldn't see? Flying was out of the question, unless he wanted to electrify the fence...

Wait... the fence. When he had first attempted to fly away inside that place, the electricity stored inside his body reacted to the metal –one of the best electricity conductors in the world- and the whole fence was electrified, illuminating all inside. Yes, that could work, it could help him in seeing where his enemies were so he could fight them off.

He only had enough electricity to lighten up the net once, but it was worth the risk. Besides, it might alert Toothless and the other dragons.

With a menacing shriek, Goblin charged the last amounts of lighting in his scales before shooting a ball of white fire up towards the net, and just as he expected, the whole fence electrified, illuminating the whole arena. Goblin could now see the Berserkers, about twenty bulky men clad in metal armor, startled by his unexpected move. But he had only seconds before the lighting subsided, so Goblin jumped into action.

The Skrill lunged at the first three Berserkers and knocked them aside with his tail, then knocked two approaching soldiers from the right with his wing.

"Get that Skrill!" one of them shouted.

Even though he loved a good fight, Goblin knew he was outnumbered and would not stand a chance by himself, especially now that he had just used the last of his power. When the electricity in the iron net finally vanished, his panic started, surrounded by darkness and unseen foes once more.

"It had to be cloudy tonight!" Goblin hissed, trying in desperation to find the gate while blindly swiping his claws and whipping his tail around, trying to knock the attackers over, but he only hit three of twenty. Goblin finally located the gates, but as he ran towards the only means of escape, he felt bolas tangling around his legs and making him trip.