I Can't Believe This

It had gotten dark outside when everyone started leaving the diner. Emma was still asleep in Mary Margaret's arms and August had fallen asleep on the seat next to me. We had talked about numerous things, she even offered to watch August if I needed her too. I couldn't understand how she was so nice. It was actually quite sickening at one point but those are the type of people who are excellent at dealing with children so it works. "I guess we better get home. We have a busy day tomorrow with trying to find August's father." I said as I stood, beginning to gather up all Emma's things. I gently shook August but he refused to wake up. I narrowed my eyes, "I'll put Emma in the car and you can carry August." I reluctantly nodded, grabbing and picking August up and following Mary Margaret to my car. As she strapped Emma in her carseat, I placed August beside her, putting his seatbelt on him. "Good night Madame Mayor. Sleep tight Emma and August." She smiled at me and I smiled back, "Have a good night Miss Blanchard." I politely spoke before driving off. I needed to think quickly about what to do with August. If I gave him to Geppetto, better known here as Marco, he might blow my cover. Until I can truly think of a better solution I guess I'll just have to care for him. He looks about ten or eleven, it shouldn't be that hard. I pulled up at the house, there's no way I can carry August and Emma, plus I want her to stay asleep for as long as possible. My only option was to wake him up, "August, dear wake up." His eyes opened and I stopped softly shaking him. "Come on, we'll go inside and you can get into bed." He grabbed Emma's baby bag for me and waited at the door. I carefully picked her up, trying to stay quiet as well. I wasted no time opening the door and heading upstairs. I put Emma in her crib and thanked August for carrying her bag. "Do I sleep on the floor?" He asked, looking around with wide eyes. I imagine he was amazed at the big house. I shook my head with a small chuckle, "No dear. You'll sleep in a bed. Come on." I took his hand and lead him to the guest room. I definitely have to get him some clothes tomorrow. He climbed into bed, "Now remember, your name is what?" I asked, wanting to make sure he understood. "August W. Boothe. Can I just say it's August?" I grinned, "Sure. But in school when they ask for your last name, it's Boothe. Tomorrow we'll get you some regular clothes and enroll you in school. Also, there's no mention of magic or anything Enchanted Forest-related here. No talking about that. Understood?" He sighed, "I know. Your curse wiped everyone's memories. I won't say anything." He yawned and I turned the light off but left the door open, "Good. Sleep well August." I headed back to my room where my daughter was. I was relieved when I saw she was still asleep. I couldn't bother to change clothes, I was much too tired. I just got into bed and by the time I nestled my face into the pillow, I was out like a light.

I figured my precious daughter wouldn't allow me to sleep throughout the night so it wasn't a surprise when she started crying after I had slept a few hours. I picked her up and tiredly made my way downstairs to fix her a bottle. "You enjoy waking mommy from her sleep, don't you?" I looked down at her and she just grinned at me. I couldn't help but smile as I shook my head, turning my attention back to the bottle as it sat in the bottle warmer. "Is everything okay?" I heard a soft voice and turned around to see August standing behind me rubbing his eyes. I raised both my eyebrows, I didn't think Emma cried that loud, "Oh yes, everything's fine. She was just hungry. I'm sorry that she woke you." He yawned, "It's okay...I wasn't sleeping well anyway." I tilted my head, "Would you like a warm glass of milk?" He nodded and I slightly grinned, grabbing a glass and the milk from the fridge. "Were you having a nightmare?" I asked as I poured the milk in the glass and placed it in the microwave. "Something like that. It's weird, it felt like I was dreaming about memories that I've never had." I almost dropped the glass when he said that. The curse. How was he being affected by it? I thought he escaped it, he knew exactly who I was. "What kind of memories?" I handed him the glass and grabbed Emma's bottle and began feeding her. "Thanks. Growing up in an orphanage and....being adopted by you." He looked up at me and furrowed his brow. My eyes widened, "Interesting. I'm sure after a good night's sleep, you'll be able to wake up and know exactly what your dream meant." I assured him with a small smile. In the meantime I need to talk with that imp because this wasn't making any sense to me. By the time both of them finished their milk and I burped Emma, they were ready to go back to sleep. I walked August back to the guest room, pulling the covers up to his chin. Once I heard soft snoring I walked back to my room and placed the already asleep Emma back in her crib. Without a second thought I climbed back in bed and slept until my alarm woke me up. I groaned as the sunlight beamed through the curtains and hit me in the face. I opened my eyes but my sight was still blurry from being tired and I saw a figure standing by my bedside. When my vision cleared I saw August, "Is something wrong?" My voice was a bit raspy. "Can I watch cartoons mom?" I shot up in my bed when I heard his question. There are two errors in that sentence. One, how does he know what cartoons are? And two, did he just call me mom? I raised an eyebrow, "Did you just call me mom?" He slowly nodded, "Well yeah, you did adopt me, didn't you?" I hesitantly nodded, "Right. Uh sure, you can go watch cartoons. Just be quiet, okay?" He smiled, "Okay." And with that, he ran out of my room and downstairs. I glanced over my shoulder to still see Emma asleep. I quickly reached for my phone and called Gold. "Madame Mayor?" He asked and I frowned, "Who else would it be?" "Well I am a business man so there are plenty of people who contact me on a daily basis." I scoffed, "If you say so. Gold, do you remember Pinocchio?" He was quiet for a moment, "Ah yes, the wooden boy that turned human. I ran into him yesterday while I was in the woods. He kept babbling on about me being Rumplestiltskin so I fixed it." He fixed it? "What did you do?" He chuckled, "I gave him a nice little potion to twist his memories around so he could fit in just fine with everyone else." That's it! "And you couldn't resist the urge to make him my son?" I could feel his smug smirk through the phone, "Think of it as a gift from me to you." I almost wished I could jump through the phone, "You've got a lot of nerve you imp!" He tsk'ed, "Madame Mayor you should watch how you talk to people who do you a favor. I must go, you can continue gripping at me another time." I hung up the phone before I said something that I might have regretted. He's totally twisted everything around, but I guess it's better than having August know the true and having to worry if he'll tell anyone. I sighed and laid back down as I stared at the ceiling. I have gotten myself into a situation I have no idea how to handle.

When Emma awoke, we headed downstairs for breakfast and sure enough August was sitting on the couch watching television. I cautiously watched him, I didn't want him to think anything was wrong. He was laughing at whatever it is that he was watching when he noticed me, "Hey mom. Hey Emma." He grinned and I smiled, "Good morning sweetheart. Enjoying your cartoons?" He nodded, "I love Mr. Peabody and Sherman. I wish I could go on adventures like them. Sesame Street is next! Can I stay home today and watch?" I grabbed a bottle from the fridge, "Yeah, I think we'll all stay home today. I'm going to be working in my office if you need me." He cheered, "Yay! Thanks mom." This was too weird. "You're welcome dear. Be sure to eat some cereal, breakfast is-" "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I know..." He interrupted with a grin. That damn imp has really strapped a load on my back, but I have to find a way to not worry so much. Feeding Emma always made me smile though. The sounds she makes are just too cute, plus she never fails to stare at me the entire time. As if she was studying me. Every time I looked at her I wondered what the future held for her, for us.