Sweetness And Uproar

Not once did I ever think about how difficult it was to raise a child, let alone two. 

I had mixed emotions about it, on one hand I was slightly excited about having two people who were going to love me. Then on the other hand, I had two new overwhelming responsibilities to care for on top of being Mayor in this town. 

How on Earth was I going to juggle being a mother and mayor? The answer to that question didn't even matter nevus I was going to have to do both if I wanted to keep living this life I had went through so much hell just to create. When Sydney left to complete his task, I let Emma continue napping and August came inside for a snack. 

I was in the kitchen fixing him a sandwich when he walked up behind me and gave me a hug. I slightly jumped at the sweet gesture, turning around to look down at him. 

"To what do I owe such sweetness?" I grinned as I ruffled his hair. 

"I just wanted to say thank you for taking me in. You didn't have to but you did." He gave me the brightest smile and it gave me a feeling I only got when Emma would smile at me. I bent down to meet him at eye level, "What do you say we bake cookies tonight?" 

He gasped and nodded with such excitement, I couldn't help but chuckle. "Good. Now you go eat your snack while I finish up some things and feed Emma, okay?" "Okay mom." I watched as he took the plate I handed him and sat at the table with a glass of milk, quietly eating. 

When the children are in my presence, I never doubt that it was the right decision to keep them. Maybe it's because of their precious faces. 

If we had still been in the Enchanted Forest, there's a 60% chance that these two wouldn't have survived their first encounter with me. I was just that heartless of a person, especially when it came to adults, but there's this small soft spot for the innocence of children. 

As I made my way into my office, I was greeted by another sweet smile. "And hello to you too, my little swan." I reached into her bassinet and picked up the feather-light child, her green eyes staring into mine. 

I was just about to tell her something when the phone on my desk rang. A tad agitated, I walked over to pick it up, only to hear Sydney speaking fast. "Slow down Sydney! I can't understand a word you're saying! What's the matter?"

He took a deep breath, it sounded like he was running. "I was getting the file you wanted to have made on August when there was a bunch of shooting going on in the center of town! Someone's been shot and we can't find Graham." 

I shook my head as I tried to understand what was being said to me. "Okay, I'll call Sheriff Graham and see if I can get him. Where's the scene exactly?" I quickly placed Emma down before rounding my desk to grab my phonebook. 

"Right in front of Granny's." 

"Alright. Stay there and make sure no one touches anything." I firmly instructed before hanging up the phone. I called Graham twice but no one answered. I groaned in frustration as I tried to figure out my next step. I needed to get down there but I couldn't take the children with me. Not only is it unsafe but I don't want them to see a dead body. 

The perfect idea popped into my head and I acted as quick as I could, calling up Mary Margaret and asking her to come over and keep an eye on them. Of course she said yes and as soon as she got in the door, I handed her a list of instructions before taking off to Granny's. 

I can't have situations like this happening in my town or the people will go into a state of panic.