Chapter 1: Rivals

Lee Suji

On a normal Monday morning, Suji got ready for school. She groaned as she refused to go to school.

"Mom," Suji sat down on the couch and let out a sigh. "Can I skip?"

Mrs. Lee couldn't hold in her anger with the disobedient Suji.

"Suji," she turned around in her seat and looked at the 20 year old girl sitting lazily in the couch. Mrs. Lee furrowed her eyebrows and continued, "you have to go no matter what. Hate it or not, I was never given this chance."

Suji sighed quietly and got up. She wore her school uniform like usual and had her hair tied in a pony tail.

"I'll be going now." she closed the door behind her and left.

Suji walked along the sidewalk. She hated school. Not because she hated learning, but because she hated the rules.

When she had first got into The Unit High School, a clean sheet of white paper read

The Unit School Rules

1. Students must attend every class
2. Must not slack off
3. Should always follow directions
4. No rebelling against teachers 
5. Must never curse
6. Must study for every test
7. Dress appropriately
8. Must work hard

And the weirdest of them all.

9. No dating between students or staffs

Suji never understood this rule because, what's wrong with dating? Was it a bad thing? she thought.

Walking off to school, she felt someone nudge her shoulder. Angry, she turned around and saw a taller boy with a pretty small face. He was thin and wore his school uniform. Because he was taller, he looked down at Suji. 

Suji's cheeks turned a bright pink and though it didn't seem like the taller boy noticed, he could clearly see it as light shown onto her cheeks.

She pushed him lightly away, but he was so strong, he didn't budge.

Suji turned an even brighter pink. Was this guy hitting on her?

Definitely not.

He pushed Suji out of the way coldly saying, "Get out of my way."

Suji watched as he coldly walked away. She tightly held her hands into a fist and grit her teeth. She was angry at the rude boy that knocked her over.

She angrily walked along the sidewalk to school. When she arrived at school, anger flushed throughout her entire body.

"Suji!" the squeaky voice called out for Suji. Suji turned and it was Hyunjoo standing at the doorway of the cafeteria. Hyunjoo was always Suji's good friend because they were the same age, but they were not as close as Suji was with Euna Kim. Hyunjoo was a pretty slow learner, but she had a bright personality. Suji walked towards Hyunjoo and when they were just a few inches apart, a guy walked in between them blocking the two.