Chapter 6: Deal Of The Day

"You have nice manners for a thief and a liar."

****************

"I want compensation." James crossed his arms. For hours now, one of Mycroft's men had been asking him question after question. He had been answering as vaguely as he could, sprinkling in a little lie every now and again. But he was bored now. If he was going to do this, he needed something in return.

"You're not getting out of here. Not yet." The man growled. That was always his tone. A threatening low grumble of words, coming out of his almost adorably ignorant and stupid mouth. He was more of a bodyguard for Mycroft than anything. Someone to handle James if he got out of line. This man as his interrogator was surely a temporary thing. He could probably turn and twist the man's little mind into anything if he wanted to.

James smirked. It was sly, and the man could practically see the gears in his head turning. "No. No, I know I'm not getting out of here right now. I want something else. Something...different."

The man straightened, "What?"

"I want to see my wife."

He looked surprised. "Really? Why?"

"Really? Why? Isn't it natural for a man to want to see his wife while he is deprived of everything else? That's probably the only normal thing about me."

The interrogator sighed. "... Fine."

****************

Within ten minutes, James was handcuffed, and taken out of his room. Surprisingly, Beth was only about ten feet away from him the whole time. Yet she hadn't made a noise. For a second, James was worried. But soon he realized that they must have given everyone the same none lethal dose of whatever the hell they had dosed them with. They had simply assumed Beth to be the average weight for someone her age and height. But she was smaller than most people when it came to weight. She had to be to do her job. So, they had simply given her a bit too much of a dose. Not enough to kill her, of course. Even if it did, it most likely wouldn't have been too hard to revive her. So, she was going to sleep longer than him.

As the man opened the door to her cell, he asked, "How long do you want with her?"

James sighed, "As much time as I can get."

Her cell was almost exactly the same to his. Same old tattered cot. Same one way mirror. Same bathroom set. Beth was asleep on the cot. She had fallen asleep in an odd way. Or maybe that was just how someone had probably placed her on the cot. It was most likely the latter than the former.

When she fell asleep next to him at home, she would be curled up against something. The wall, the edge of the bed. Next to James. On top of James. Anywhere, really. But now, she was laid out on the bed, her arms above her head. She was on her back, her legs crossed. Her hair was out of the braid it had been in when she had been taken. Now, it was damn near wild. Despite being knocked out, it looked as if she was having a nightmare. She was grimacing, and her eyes were moving rapidly behind her eyelids. It looked as if she was about to cry out. Ever since she had gotten last kidnapped and tortured a few years back, she had started suffering from occasional night terrors.

The moment the handcuffs were taken off, he rushed to her side. He scanned her with his eyes and hands, holding her face while he looked her over. He couldn't see anything wrong. There was a needle mark on her neck, and he also noticed bruises on her wrists from where the men had held her down. He gingerly touched them, as if even the slightest touch could break her. Part of him didn't want to wake her. Didn't want her to see that they were captured. He wanted her to dream peacefully. Yet it wasn't a peaceful dream, now was it?

No. Her eyes were still rapidly flicking from left to right under her eyelids. Her fists were clenched. He had to wake her. But how? If the drug was still in effect, it would keep her asleep.

So, he waited. For one painful hour, he waited, holding her hand.

When she finally did come to, she came to slowly. First she flexed her hand, before gingerly turning towards James. She opened her eyes, blinking against the sudden light.

"J-Jamie?" Her voice was hoarse. She surveyed him. Messy, unkempt hair. Brown eyes a little wider than usual. They had both been changed into casual clothes. She squeezed James' hand a little harder. For a few seconds, they seemed to be all that existed. Then reality came crashing down.

"W-Where are w-we?" She was calm, sure. But her hands were starting to shake. She jolted up, or at least tried to. She ended up making it five inches above the bed before crashing down again.

"Shh. It's okay. We're going to be okay. They just want to ask us a few questions."

"A... A few questions?" She shivered.

"Yes. Then they're going to let us go."

Beth nodded. She was nervous. James let go of her hand, and she reached for him again. Yet in seconds he was right beside her again, laying down next to her on the small cot. She was shivering and shaking. Her skin was cold. He put his arms around her - one on her waist, the other on the back of her head. She didn't want to move. She was too tired. The drug was still partially taking effect on her. So James pulled her closer. Keeping her warm. Keeping her safe. They both fell asleep shortly after that.

******************

The only reason James woke up was because someone was trying to drag him away. He had felt someone yanking on the back of his collar. It was the guard.

"Mr. Moriarty, you have been here for three hours. It's time for you to go."

James grumbled, holding Beth tighter. She was still sleeping. He couldn't leave her while she was still sleeping. She'd wake up alone.

The hand on the back of his collar pulled harder. He couldn't leave. He couldn't. He wouldn't.

"Mr. Moriarty, it's time to go."

Beth was safe in his arms. She was warm and relaxed and just so peaceful.

Finally the man brought in two more guards, and they forced him off of her. Two people had him by his torso, the other keeps him from throwing punches while they keep him from crying out as they drag him away. Somehow Beth stays asleep through all of it, and all James wants to do is wake her up, tell her that he'll be back soon, even if it kills him. James kicks and claws at them, trying to go back to her.

He doesn't know why he feels so desperate.

He doesn't want to know why.

All he wants to know is if Beth was going to be alright.

********************

VID IS NOT MINE.

SONG IS BY THREE DAYS GRACE. IT IS IN THEIR NEW ALBUM OUTSIDER

LISTEN TO IT

IT IS GOOD

Anyway, I hope you're liking the angst.

Bye Friendy Wendy's! See ya'll next chapter!!!