Chapter 10: We'll Start To Burn

"In a fight, they're lethal. Around each other, they melt."

********************

At the tower of London, they receive many visitors. All of which are tourists. Hundreds if not a thousand or two a day. The tourists come from all races and sizes and genders. From different countries and continents all around the world. From the small Asian woman, to the tall Scottish man, and even to the short Egyptian man having a race with his son, they were all tourists. They were all there to see the sights and relax.

Two of the tourists seemed no different.

One of them - the male- was tall, with messy dark hair and brown eyes locked on the pamphlet, staring at the words "crown jewels". His blue cap was pattered with Britain's flag, despite the smooth Irish accent that decorated the occasional words he spoke to his partner. His simple white shirt and black trousers added to the effect of tourism, not to mention the tan jacket and earbuds that seemed to make his pale skin look just a tad bit tan. He was holding the hand of his wife. She herself had black hair, with white tips, suggesting that her hair had been bleached white for a time before it grew out again. She was wearing her long straight hair up in a messy bun, her grey-ish eyes watching her husband for directions. She, like her husband, was wearing simple clothes that blended in perfectly with the crowd around them. A knee length modest light pink skirt, with a white tank top and black cardigan. She was texting someone on her phone. Someone with the contact name "Moran".

At first glance, they looked normal.

At second, they still looked average.

Yet only few people in London knew who they actually were. And only the people themselves knew what they were doing there. They were there to steal the crown jewels.

The man was named James Moriarty. The girl was named Beth.

The Moriarty's had been planning this heist for months. They knew exactly what to do. Exactly when to do it.  Beth had everything she needed to get them out if need be.

And so, they started the plan.

James turned used his phone to hack into the building's security system to trigger the fire alarm. It rang, people started to leave. Yet James and Beth stayed. A guard waddled over to them, and said something along the lines of, "Please leave."

But Beth was ready for that. She suddenly took off her wedding ring, throwing it to James. He caught it as she tackled the guard to the ground, her arms around his neck from behind. She squeezed. He was unconscious within two minutes. While that was happening, James had already taken the diamond off of her wedding ring. The only exit shut behind them because of the fire alarm.

It wasn't her real ring, anyway. The real one was at home. This one was a spare one that James had bought in order to get the only thing that could break bulletproof glass into the room.

He took the chewing gum out of his mouth, sticking it to the glass. He put the diamond there, sharp side facing the jewels. He took the emergency fire extinguisher off of the wall, and slashed it where the diamond was.

The plan went perfectly.

The diamond, the only thing that could cut through the glass, hit the surface of the glass with enough force for it to crack and shatter into a hundred tiny little pieces. James smirked, and Beth hugged him, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

But there was one part of the plan Beth didn't know about. James suddenly pressed a button on his phone, opening the doors to the room. Moran burst in the second he could get through. He grabbed Beth, and although she fought him, she couldn't get out of his grip. Beth screamed James' name, scratching at the arm carrying her away. Moran got out of the room, and the door shut once more. Her screams were instantly muffled.

James couldn't let the cops come in and find her. He could be able to hack his way into a "not guilty" sentence. But Beth couldn't. The governments of so many countries had been after her for years now. No jury in the world, no matter how much threatening, would let her walk free.

He heard the sirens drive up outside the building. Heard the text chime on his phone.

He looked down, reading the message.

Driving Beth home. She's sobbing, but not attacking me.

-SM.

Sebastian Moran. James could always count on him. He read the message again.

Of course Beth was sobbing. She knew what she had just been dragged away from. His arrest. His potential prosecution.

She was a smart woman. She could put together the pieces.

When the police came for him, he didn't put up a fight. No, he went willingly. They led him to the squad car. People photographed him.

And when he squinted, he could see Moran and Beth watching from a nearby parking lot. It was true that Beth was crying. He could see that quite clearly. Her eyes were red. Tears were dropping onto the side of the car as she leaned her head out of the window.

Moran rolled up the window, forcing her head into the car. He drove off.

James was pushed into the squad car.

The door slammed shut behind him.