Chapter 15: We All Fall Down

"Our last goodbye was never said."

****************************

Beth heard the gunshot just as she sprinted in the door.

A wave of terror crashed over her like a wave, threatening to drown her. She screamed, before sprinting to the stairs. There were four flights. She didn't care. In seconds, she was bursting onto the roof. Her feet thumped against  the concrete. It seemed as though the panic was making her see everything at once. The tauntingly blue sky. Sherlock's trademark coat billowing in the breeze as he was about to jump. James' dark blood slowly gushing out his body, congealing on the pavement. She could see Sherlock look back at her with a sorry expression, before mouthing something along the lines of an apology.

He jumped. He seemed to fall in slow motion. She could faintly hear John crying out Sherlock's name from below.

She didn't really care. All she knew was that James' face was losing it's color. His eyes were beginning to glaze over.

She sprinted up to his body, kneeling down for a split second. Yet in seconds a pair of arms wrapped around her torso, dragging her away.

"Beth-" Moran struggled to keep her in his arms, "The police are going to be here soon! We have to go!"

Beth screamed, reaching her hand back to his face and digging her nails into his cheek. The long, jagged cuts soon welled up with blood, staining her hands. Moran grunted in pain, loosening his grip long enough for her to get free. She sprinted forward again, falling to her knees and taking his head in her hands. Tears flowed freely down her cheeks, his blood coating her hands and wrists.

He looked so very peaceful. There was a slight smile on his face, his eyes staring right at the beautiful bright blue sky, as if watching the fluffy clouds go by over Beth's head. His eyes were still such a deep rich brown color, despite his eyes going foggy. His fingers were still stiff on the gun. A dead man's grip.

"No! James! No!" Her voice was little more than a hoarse whisper, her vision blurry with tears. She grips his free hand, and sobs, "You can't do this! You can't..."

She bit her lip, a drop of blood forming from the puncture, before Moran was grabbing her by the shoulders and dragging her back again. She shrieked, once again clawing at him and attempting to get away. Get to James. Maybe she could keep anyone from taking him away from her. Maybe even death. And if not, maybe she could follow death with him.

"Please, Bash, let me stay with him!" She pleaded, "Pl- Please!"

"I'm sorry... I can't..." In seconds, he stopped her struggling by slinging her over his shoulder. She screamed and sobbed as he carried her down the stairs. She pounded her fists on his back, screaming something along the lines of "Stop!" and "James!" 

Yet on the last flight of stairs, Moran picked up the pace.

In the end, he was throwing her into the backseat of the car, James' blood still on her hands, and getting into the driver's seat, before speeding away from St. Barts Hospital.

Away from James.

Away from everything.

*****************************

Stay tuned for a sneak peak to the next Partners In Crime Book!!!