Books and Cake Pops

The freezing, biting, unforgiving winter's wind swirled around you, and at you, making it feel as if tiny shards of glass were being thrown at your face.

You tuck your red blushing cheeks and rosebud lips, caused by the cold, into your scarf which was a dark purple hue. Your legs attempted to fight the forceful breeze contradicting the direction you were trying to go, the cold air seeping through your jeans. The dimly lit road was quiet and empty, the sidewalks lonely, decorated by the white crystal snow gingerly placing itself on the gray pavement.

A red car zooms by, your eyes catching the surface of the vehicle reflecting the street lamps, making you mentally wish you decided to ride a bus or drive instead of walk, as it would have been much warmer.

The wind calmed itself for a few seconds, you taking advantage of your legs being able to stride freely, causing you to sprint. The wind began to pick up it's pace again, but luckily you were already at your destination. Gazing at the starry, celestial sky above you, your attention turns back in front of you. The door to a small library- cafe. The small building's windows let a warm glow escape to the outside, emitting an inviting vibe. You found yourself wrapping your gloved fingers around the iced brass knob, connected to the chocolate-mocha colored door.

You turned the knob and slowly wandered in, the tiny bell tinkling above the door to notify the worker of your entrance. You were immediately welcomed by a warm air, the song 'Half Moon' gently playing on the speaker above your head, and the sweet aroma of coffee, tea cakes, donuts, sandwiches and other sweets or bakery foods wafting into your nose, making your sense of smell tingle with delight.

Your black combat boots made a muffled, deep clicking noise on the wood with every step forward you took. You guided yourself to the cashier, calling her attention as she strided over to greet you with a soft, gentle smile. You glanced at the tag on her uniform to properly address her, quickly formulating what you want as your order.

"Good evening, Wendy. Erm, may I please have a caramel macchiato, a Boston creme filled donut, one of those egg, ham and cheese biscuit sandwiches, oh, and a cake pop."

The worker smiled, amused by your child-like appetite at this time of night. "Sure. I'll try to be quick," she handed you your receipt before winking and turning back around to work on your order.

You eyed the interior area of where you stood, contemplating on wether you should sit at the sofa, near the window, outside or next to the books. The books seemed like a more secluded area, being hidden by the large book case. You decided to seat yourself at the latter area, setting down your phone on the table and slipping off your coat to place it on the back of the black wooden chair.

You gently paced yourself, walking past the book shelves, your fingers and eyes skimming the spines of the varied literature. A glint of gold catches your attention, making you stop and step back a bit to locate the source of the gold ink. It was a navy blue book that was rather thick, that had the gold colored font on the spine that attracted your curiosity, your fingers tipping the top edge of the book, your other hand lifting up to clutch it, bringing it out if it's original spot. 

The song 'Half Moon' concluded, initiating the beginning of 'Star', by Heize.

Your eyes scanned the gold writing on the hard-backed cover, the title reading 'An Imperial Affliction'.

"An Imperial Affliction.... Interesting," you muttered beneath your breath, still in a trance by the simplistic yet beautiful cover.

"It's a really intriguing and over all good book," A soft, deep voice coming from behind you out of nowhere causes you to slightly jump, whipping your head and body back to find the source of the voice. A tall man with soft, gentle dark eyes that glimmered with intellect now stood before you, his parted blonde hair matching the aura of the cafe. He offered you a calm, sweet smile that was emphasized by the dimples on each side of his smile.