Chapter Five - The Butterfly Effect

Chapter Five – The Butterfly Effect

"You're going to Spring Fling with Tyler Crowley?" Eleanor gushed. She was sprawled out on my bed. She had been demanding daily updates on the Twilight situation and was now staring at me opened mouthed. "Why didn't you ask Mike? Isn't he the better looking one?"

I laughed and threw a pillow at her. "I was only trying to help Bella out. I don't want to go at all." At first it felt strange to talk about the strange second life I had adopted for myself, but now the words flowed out easily around Eleanor.

"It sounds like she's a lot happier then she was in the book," Eleanor said, closing her eyes. "I think I like your Bella better."

"She's not unhappy," I defended, "She's just introverted and anyway I'm sure she's suppose to hit it off with Edward any day now."

"You don't know when?"

"No,"

"Aren't you referencing the book?" she asked, looking up at me.

"No,"

"Leighton!" she exclaimed, sitting up straight.

"What?"

"Why aren't you referencing the book? How many times have you even read it?"

"I've read the whole series once. Why do I need to reference it?"

"So you know when Bella is going to play baseball and when Edwards wants to leave her. They are the two main things that I've thought of at the moment but I've been trying to think in cause and effect –"

"-What are you talking about?" I cut her off mid sentence.

"Do you know what cause and effect is Leighton? You've seen The Butterfly Effect."

"I know what it is I just don't know what you're talking about."

Eleanor shook her head. "Well I was thinking about how much pain you could save Bella from. If you could stop James from hunting her then she will never get hurt at the end of the year – Victoria will never hunt her in the second and third book. And I know that it's a while away but in the second book if Edward doesn't leave her then you can save them from the Volturi in the second and forth book."

I stared at her with my mouth open. "No," I told her instantly.

"Why not?" she asked indignantly.

"Because a few weeks ago you told me not to interfere! I'm not getting involved Ellie. I'm just going to wait it out."

"But you can help them," she looked at me suddenly like I was some kind of monster.

"They're not even real!" I exclaimed. Eleanor looked like I slapped her.

"That's funny because I've never seen you feel like this about anyone who is real. They brought you back to life and you're just too afraid to admit it."

"Get out!" I yelled at her and she stormed from my bedroom.

The next day Bella and I rode separately to school. I was still fuming from my fight with Eleanor and I was determined to be invisible that day and not talk to anyone. Bella was late to English and she took her normal seat beside me but I didn't even try to speak to her. Her face was flushed so I assumed something was going on with Edward. Mike didn't sit with us in English. Instead he looked at Bella moodily, obviously still cut up about her rejection.

If I was going to help anyone out I should help him out, I thought to myself moodily. I should just say to him give it up already she is going to marry Cullen and have half vampire babies. I should just go and tell Edward everything that is going to happen right now so that I won't know anything that is going to happen. If I changed anything the whole future would change and I wouldn't have anymore chance of predicting it than Bella would. And knowing Bella; how she really was a walking magnet for disaster, something else would just sneak up to get her. And how did I know that it would turn out ok like I did now? So I set my mind to letting everything play out as best I could. I knew that Bella would get her happy ending. After English Mike seemed to decide that he couldn't be mad at Bella for long and he started to chat to us again. This time he brought up his idea of visiting La Push Beach again. Bella was pretending to sound very interested, probably because she felt guilty, but Mike didn't seem to notice.