Chapter Seven - Port Angeles

Chapter Seven – Port Angeles

The next day I was relieved to see that the sun was once again shining through my bedroom window. Two days of sunshine in a row. I thought that it might be some kind of record for Forks. I was feeling quite excited about the shopping trip that afternoon. I was looking forward to having some quality girl time and I really wanted to have a talk with Bella. It felt like I hadn't spoken to her in a long time. In my excitement for the day I decided to wear one of the dresses I had in the closet. I chose a dark blue one with a deep v-neck. I paired it with a light grey cardigan and I crossed my fingers that the weather wasn't going to turn half way through the day.

I became even more excited when mum gave me a nice bundle of cash to take shopping. It was enough to buy a dress for the dance plus a whole new wardrobe so I promised to bring her back change.

"No. Spend it one what ever you like. It's my treat." She insisted. I hesitantly put the money into my wallet but it felt conspicuous carrying around that much cash. Even in Forks I was asking to be mugged. I settled on stashing the cash securely in the glove box of my car where I tried to put it into the back of my mind. I wasn't much of a shopper. I found that I was too direct to enjoy shopping trips. I liked to go in, find what it was that I needed and get out as soon as possible. I decided that I would find a way to give some of it back to mum.

At school I saw Bella sitting on one of the rarely used benches talking to Mike. She had a slightly sour look on her face and her lips barely moved when she spoke. I decided to head over and see what was happening. It seemed like forever since I had spoken to her.

"Hi Bella," I said walking up and taking a seat on the slightly damp bench besides Bella. "Hi Mike," I greeted him as he looked at me and his eyes widened slightly.

"You look really nice today," Bella commented as she looked at my dress. I didn't know why but I put extra effort into getting dressed today. I even applied some mascara, something I never did due to the excessive attention it drew to my eyes. The person I was trying to impress didn't even go to this school. I felt myself blush. Mike was still looking at me and I felt uncomfortable under his gaze. Bella was looking from Mike to me with a look that clearly said now you know how I feel.

"So what did you two do yesterday?" I asked lightly. I turned away from Mike towards Bella.

"I just went for a walk in the forest and hung out around the house," she shrugged. "What about you?"

"I actually went down to La Push again. It was such a nice day I had to get out of the house."

Bella nodded enthusiastically. "Did you just go to First Beach?"

"Well that was where I was headed until my car broke down," I smiled. Bella's lips turned upwards in amusement.

"The beetle broke down?"

I launched into my story about my weekend as we walked to class. Mike was listening ever so carefully to my story. He laughed when Bella and I laughed and I could have sworn he frowned every time I mentioned Jacob. Each time I caught his eye he smiled widely. He had managed to take my good mood and turn it into something I felt uncomfortable about. I finally understood what Bella had been trying to tell me all these months.

In English Jessica was especially euphoric about the dance and she talked non-stop about it on the way to her next class. It was hard not to catch onto her enthusiasm about the dance, and even though I knew Bella hated dancing I wished that she would come along anyway. Personally I had no sense of rhythm but I was still going along.

At lunch I saw Bella glance hopefully over to the Cullen's usual table and frown deeply as it was empty. The table was crowded as we arrived and I felt instantly uncomfortable as everyone's eyes turned to us. Everyone looked back away soon enough except for Tyler who's mouth dropped open slightly and Lauren whose face turned into her usual scowl. I was tempted to tell her she could get her own ride to Port Angeles.