Chapter Nine - Spring Fling

Chapter Nine – Spring Fling

As soon as we arrived at the dance I felt my anger slowly evaporate. The dance was in the gym at the high school but someone had gone to a lot of trouble to decorate it so that it looked like a bouquet of flowers. At the front door Tyler and I were bombarded with flashes as numerous parents and teachers were designated as the cameramen for the night. I smiled dutifully for the camera but found myself looking around the room for Angela and Jess. I spotted Jess instantly – she was on the dance floor in her electric blue number dancing with her arms draped delicately around Mike. She was smiling at him widely and – I was pleased to see- Mike couldn't take his eyes off her. I spotted Angela and Eric at the table we had for the group. They were chatting to Lauren and Connor. Angela spotted Tyler and me and waved at us enthusiastically. I felt a bubble of excitement begin in my stomach. The music was good and I had good friends around me so there was really no reason why I couldn't have a good night. The best thing was that I didn't know anyone's future who was here. I was just like them. The thought made me feel more at ease. I walked over to the table and Tyler graciously supported me as I wobbled in the heels that were too high for me. He smiled proudly. Angela stood up when I made it to the table and hugged me warmly.

"You look so beautiful!" she said softly,

"You too!" I yelled so that she could hear me over the music. Lauren glared at me for a moment before resuming her conversation with Connor as if I hadn't arrived at all. I ignored her. I took a seat next to Angela and Tyler sat by my side. I wasn't sitting for long though as Mike and Jessica returned from the dancing and Jessica squealed and hugged me as well.

"You look hot," she told me, and it was a genuine compliment.

"You do!" I told squealed back. Her excitement was contagious. And then I added in a lower voice. "And Mike can't take his eyes off you." She smiled widely and went and took her seat next to Mike. I noticed both of there hands slip beneath the table. I was happy for them and I hoped Jessica that they progressed to the first kiss stage like Jess was hoping.

"Would you like to dance?" Tyler asked me and offered me his hand. He looked so happy that I couldn't deny him.

"Sure," I told him, "But I warn you I don't really know any dances."

Tyler laughed but led the way to the centre of the floor. I found that people were saying help to me more and more. Even people, who I didn't think that I had met before, like seniors. I smiled at everyone and waved at a few other people. Just as Tyler turned to face me the up-beat music turned to a slow ballad. I, along with a few other people, moaned. But Tyler smiled at his good-fortune. He reached out and placed his hand tentatively on my waist and drew me forward. I placed the hand that wasn't encased tightly in Tyler's on his shoulder where we swayed awkwardly for the duration of the song. It felt uncomfortable compared with the embrace I had shared with Jacob earlier that night. I stood on Tyler's toes numerous times but he didn't seem to mind. After a minute of awkward silence I finally spoke.

"We're good friends Tyler, aren't we?" I asked him, I fluttered my eye lashes slightly for effect.

"Um. Yeah. Of course." Said Tyler quickly, he was trying to sound more comfortable than he was.

"Then can you do me a favour?" I asked shyly.

"Anything," he promised.

"Dance with Lauren after this," I told him, smiling and fluttering the eye lashed some more. Tyler looked shocked at my request. I spoke quickly. "She has been mad with me ever since I asked you to this dance because she really likes you," I told him and he looked over at Lauren – who would have looked quite pretty if not for her sour expression – and looked deep in thought. For the remainder of the song I caught him sneaking looks at her from over my shoulder. When the song finished I whispered to him, "Don't tell her I said anything." As he headed over to where Lauren was sitting.