Chapter 3

Raegan and Maeve entered the local pub, only across the road from their apartment. They made their way to the front at the bar, greeting the bartender with a smile. The bricks had eroded a good chunk, and the bar furniture was worn and faded. Little brown oak stools with work black fitted cushions were fixed to them, located along the bar. Around the rest of the bar there resided old sofas and armchairs, with chocolate coloured small tables scattered across the faded 80s carpet.

Maeve put her phone on the bar counter as she sat at the bar, Raegan sitting on her left. Aspen noticed them from his armchair near the entrance, picking up his jacket off the arm, and making his way over to them.

"Hey Skylands, how are ya tonight?" Aspen greeted, "May I join you?"

They both nodded, Maeve adding in a "Sure thing."

Aspen sat down. Raegan gave a yawn, before asking the bartender for some drinks as Aspen began making conversation with Maeve. After Raegan paid the bartender, she watched them interact, adding in a few words here and there. She noticed Maeve's phone lying on the bar, and the bartender caught her eye. He frowned at her, and she responded by putting a finger to her lips, glancing at Maeve's phone. He shook his head with a grin and served another customer.

Raegan took Maeve's phone, unlocking it easily, downloading her dating app and setting her preferences and making her a profile. It had different settings to hers, but she tried to make it as close to Maeve as she could.

Dating4U! Profile:

Maeve, Female, 25 years old. Works as a website coder at home.

Looking for a male, 23-27 years old and employed.

She then listed some of her hobbies and other information. A few hours later, Maeve and Raegan arrived home. Putting their jackets on the coat stand by the door, they both separated to their own rooms to get into pyjamas for the night. A few minutes later, Maeve came out, sitting on the sofa and switching on her laptop. She checked her emails, seeing a new one from a dating site, asking to verify her email address and complete her profile. She frowned at the words on her screen.

"Raegan!" Maeve called, just as Raegan came out in her lounging clothes.

"Yeah?" She sat down next to her, checking her phone again.

"What's Dating4U? I got an email from them, not sure if it's spam."

"Maeve, I at least want you to try dating, at least once more-"

"I'm not dating. I've told you so many times, why won't you listen to me?"

"Maeve, please."

She shook her head, "Why won't you listen to what I want to do with my life, stop trying to control me."

Raegan gasped softly, "Maeve, sweetie, I would never control you. I just don't want you being alone for the rest of your life. I'm on it too."

Maeve frowned, biting her bottom lip, "Why? I thought you were too busy for men?"

She shook her head. "I'm O.K., we have Rose who takes on some of my work now. But now I'm just doing errands for Azazel."

Maeve scratched the side of her throat, "Hmm... alright, here's a bet. First one to get a date wins."

Raegan grinned, "Deal, what's the prize?"

Maeve gave an evil grin. "We both buy a kiddie themed onesie. Loser wears it and sings the My Little Pony theme song, and the entire video goes on all social media."

Raegan grinned, already knowing she had a head start. She wouldn't lose against her own little sister. She put a film on the flat screen in front of them, suspended onto the small white bricked column that came down in the middle of the lounge. Meanwhile, Maeve went on her laptop and typed in the dating app's web address, adding in missing information including images and a username.

The next morning, Maeve brought her breakfast into her room with a steaming cup of black coffee. Setting them on her desk, she turned on her desktop and set up Netflix, playing her favourite show. She checked her phone's new dating app, seeing two new messages.

CutieBoy (Offline): hi, you an angel? Cause you're heavenly.

Maeve chuckled at the cheesy line, typing a reply.

PCNerd25 (Online): Cheesy, but I'll bite. Who are you?

She went out of the message, clicking on the other one.

BigDick69 (Online): hey cutie, I'll send u a pic of mine if you send yours ;)

Maeve grimaced, deleting the message and exiting the app. She'd just put her phone on the counter when her phone buzzed again. She picked the phone back up, checking the notification.

Dating4U!: New message from CutieBoy. Will he be the one?

She opened the app, clicking on the new message.

CutieBoy (Online): The name's Taivel, but you can call me Tai. I'm a teacher at good old 24, how about you?

PCNerd25 (Online): Maeve, 25, and I design websites for people and review stuff, like a tester.

CutieBoy (online): Oh cool. Are you free this weekend? I'd love to take you out for coffee.

Maeve checked his location from the app, which showed which town he lived in, only ten miles away from her. They agreed to meet on Sunday at 3 pm in the town halfway between them both, five miles away. With a smug grin covering her face, she sent a screenshot of the date confirmation to Raegan on text, eating her now cooler breakfast and drinkable coffee before beginning work for the day.