V.

Killian's POV

Killian's POV

"I cant believe I caught a fucking cold." I sighed into the pillow Sarah had fluffed for me.

Yes.

She fluffs my pillows.

I was wondering the lengths Sarah would go to to assure my comfort.

"You're the one who didn't bring a jacket. You know New York's weatherman is never trustworthy with our forecasting." Sarah scolded. My eyes shot open.

"His jacket." I whispered to myself. "I think I forgot to give your boy-toy his jacket back."

"First off, he's not my boy-toy okay? Just partners. And I'm sure he'll live." She replied. I rolled to the right, then back to the left.

I didn't know why this was bothering me so much.

My mind wandered back to the night I had met him a few days ago...

"Oh, Killian, long time no see." Stevenson, the officer on duty, smiled at me. I gave him a polite nod back.

"It's nice seeing you, Steve." I was trying out one of those things Sarah had talked about. Some sort of kind short greeting. Steve's face lit up like a Christmas tree, seeing as these were probably the most words I had said to him ever.

"How have yo-" he started, but I had already made it past the front entrance and into the precinct.

I locked eyes with Sarah first who had been facing me from her desk. All I could see was the back of the guy who sat in front of her.

"Kil!" She called out as soon as she saw me. It was a very odd and slightly morbid nick name she had conjured up for me when we were younger. I didn't mind, but it never seemed to sit right with the people around us.

The man slowly turned around to face whoever Sarah was looking at, and our eyes met. I was slightly taken back by just how vibrant his... Well... his everything was.

His hair was a very bright blonde with darkish roots that meshed in well with his tanner skin tone. But that wasn't what caught my attention. What did, were his eyes.

His eyes were one of the most bold blues I had ever seen. When he looked at me, I got this uncomfortable feeling. It was almost as if someone had taken a torch to my body and began the process of burning me alive.

My skin felt as if it was going to melt right off.

I quickly averted me gaze to Sarah. "Your files."

"Thank you, Killian ." she smiled, as she grabbed the papers from my outstretched hand. "Killian, this is James. James, meet my brother Killian."

I had glanced back at him from the side of their conjoining desks. He smiled up at me. I felt myself struggling to maintain a stable heartbeat. I wasn't sure what was happening but it was starting to alarm me.

Needless to say, the man took really good care of his teeth. His smile looked like the ones models had on covers of swimsuit magazines or perfume ads.

"Hi Killian." He spoke.

His voice was much deeper than I thought it would be.

I gave him a nod, but before I could say anything else (not saying I would if I was given a chance), Sarah was already pointing me in the direction of the tea.

"Have you been listening to a damn thing I've been saying?" Sarah demanded, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Something along the lines of You know your immune system isn't as strong as most and sickness effects you for a much longer time than most and you shouldn't put yourself in a position where catching anything is a possibility... How am I doing so far?" I asked. In all honesty, I hadn't heard jack shit Sarah was babbling on about, but all her lectures were awfully similar when it came to my health.

"I lecture cause I care." She whispered to me before planting a kiss on my forehead. "I'm off to work. Call if you need anything!"

And just like that, she was gone.

-

It had felt so quiet in the house whenever Sarah wasn't around. On this particular Tuesday, I couldn't handle it. I peeled the blankets off myself and made my way over to my cell phone I had placed on the dresser. I guess it was time to give her a call.

-

It was only moments later when I heard a knock on the door. As soon as I opened it, I was attacked by a fiery blonde who brought both our bodies to the floor.

"Rosie." I groaned. I swear I felt a few bones break.

"I can't believe you've been in new York a few weeks already and you haven't called me, you asshat!" Rosie replied. I gave her a shrug. She quickly got up and composed herself.

So you must be wondering how the hell I knew this woman, or why I'd make a phone call just to have my pelvis bone broken.

Let me explain.

I met Rosie a few years back when she came to visit her brother at Princeton. She automatically took a liking to me, which I hated at first.

But then she kinda sorta grew on me.

Like a wart really.

She didn't treat me weird because of my... Affliction. She accepted my asshole remarks and cold personality quite well. She was also the gal you called when you were feeling kind of alone. If you couldn't find any words to say, she had you covered with her constant rambling. Thus ensued our complicated relationship.

That was the one thing I hated the most about Sarah.

Brewing around her for so long had gotten me used to her company... I no longer found as much comfort in my solitude.

For someone who had a complicated time connecting, it was some sort of sweet torture to yearn for something I couldn't have with anyone but Sarah.

I think this was why I latched so intensely to the few people I did have in my life.

I had doubts my circle would grow, and every year that passed, there was still a possibility it could diminish.

I guess you could say I was playing the waiting game.

When would they all finally grow tired of me?