X.

James's POV

James's POV

I could practically feel the shiver that visibly ran down his back from our proximity as I whispered into his ear.

It took every shred of willpower I had left to do nothing more like reach out and touch him, which I had the urge to do right now.

I could see his knuckles whitening from how hard they were gripping the arm rest, and I decided not to push it to much further. As I pulled away from Killian, Chief reached over and pulled the files out of Killian's tight grasps.

That seemed to pull him back to reality.

"We'll look into it." Chief spoke flatly. And that would be everyone's clue to leave.

"Well. I'm glad Killian was able to return your files that I promise hewillneverbecaughtdeadwithagain."
Sarah got out all in one breathe as she practically yanked Killian up by his shirt and marched us all out of the Chief's office. 

As I glance Killian's way when he slipped past me to follow Sarah out, I could see just the slightest touch of pink on his cheeks. His eyes intentionally never caught mine, but it still felt like he was staring back some how.

I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that for the first time in weeks, I'd actually seen him express some kind of emotion. I wasn't ready to believe that he had been blushing.

My eyes had to of been playing tricks on me... Right?

-
Killian's POV

It was official.

I was dying.

My body had finally given up on regenerating and all my systems organs had begun to fail. There was no other valid explanation for why my whole body was still on fire a day later as I laid in bed 2:30 in the morning.

My hand reached over and fell on top of where my heart should've been exactly. I felt and listened to my own heartbeat. It was something I would do as a child, just to remind myself I was still here.

Ground myself... if you may.

My fingers ran down and traced over the burns on my stomach. The most sensitive part of my body you could say. The skin there was rough. I had to close my eyes and take a few breathes to push past the dark memories of my childhood.

Everything was over now.

I didn't know why I still struggled with it. They were all dead anyways.

I reached over from my bedside and grabbed the shirt I had left on my chair, before pulling it up over my head. I never went shirtless for more than a few minutes. I didn't like being that exposed... even with myself.