The First Fight

"Please remind me why you're all here?" Helena said as a group of wolves followed at her heels on through the winding streets of Semul.

"Moral support," Felix said from her right.

"Gambling," Petrine said from her left.

"Entertainment," Ed said from behind her.

Adrian remained blessedly silent, but it did nothing for Helena's sour mood.

Upon returning to the inn earlier on, she had found the Montis wolves packing their things. Hermine had made the decision to leave the Lonesome Succubus now their purses were heavier with reimbursed money. No one disagreed. They had grown tired of the odd smells that permeated the place and the fear of being stabbed in the night. The stolen blade had been the stone to break the centaur's back.

Usually Helena wouldn't have complained, but she had little privacy as she discussed her evening's adventure with Adrian whilst they searched out a new place to sleep. Of course, as per wolf nature, Edgard managed to overhear and soon the entire party knew of Helena's foray into the world of ring fighting. Once settled at a new inn, the Horse and Fox, Hermine went to bed, but Ed, like an excited child, hung around to watch . Felix had of course decided to stick his nose in last minute, while Petrine had lost 5 exim after a bad hand of cards the night before and wanted to earn some of it back before her next crushing defeat.

That was how the found herself approaching the bustling building surrounded by Montis wolves. Her frayed nerves had already given her an unpleasant disposition that evening, but the loudly speaking trio seemed set on stamping out what little remained of her cheer. By the time the red banners came into sight, she was just about ready to gag them.

Stopping, she turned to them.

"You lot will have to stay out here with the rest of the crowd. Only fighters are allowed in at this time," she explained.

Adrian stepped forward then.

"Would it be possible for me to take part? If we had a second fighter, then we double our chances of getting the blade back."

Helena considered him while the other three just gaped.

"Are you mad, Adrian? You could get injured or break something," Ed said with a slight scowl. Adrian glanced at him, his jaw growing more stubbornly clenched.

"You don't understand the situation, Ed. We need the blade. A couple of bruises and a broken nose are the least of our concerns if we don't get it back." He spoke with low tones, one that Helena had only heard him speak in several times. The tension permeated the air between the small group. A look of realisation crossed Felix's face, confusion marred Petrine's and Ed remained unsure.

Eventually the alpha gave up with a wave of the hand. "Fine, fine, but you're the one that has to explain yourself to Hermine when we get back," he sniffed. "I know you well enough to know I'm not going to win this round."

Adrian's shoulders unwound a little and he tipped his head forward. "Thank you. Helena?"

The rogue glanced up from the ground she was inspecting with a muted amount of interest, raising a brow.

"It's your nose you're putting on the line, Adrian. If you want to risk it, then by all means go ahead. Even if you only make it to the second round then that will be two less people in the running and one less enemy for me." In the low light, her face appeared darker, her eyes holding a glint of feral insanity that they had lacked for the past few weeks.

"I'm sure of it, Lena," Adrian continued.

"Alright. Come on. We best not be late," she said, turning on her heels and walking away.