The Cupboard

"How long are we going to stay here?" Adrian asked, his side pressed up against hers. The storage cupboard was tight, buckets and mops pressing in from all sides.

"Until we dock," Helena replied, having resigned herself to an hour of claustrophobic boredom. "There's not much else we can do. I've left the note in Ed's luggage, but I don't think either of us should get them any more involved in this mess."

"Agreed."

They hushed into a delicate silence, the creaking of the ship's hull filling the emptiness between them. Helena rested her head back against the wall, closing her eyes.

"You shouldn't have interfered." For once, her voice lacked any kind of conviction. There was no bite to it and she sounded almost tired. "Those people- no, those monsters, they know your face now. I never wanted you involved. It's not your fight and I don't want you hurt, or even killed, because of me." When she went quiet, she raised her hand to her face, running her fingers down her harsh features.

Adrian stared at his boots, squinting to make them out in the low light. "I didn't want to see you do something you were going to regret. I know you have many shadows that follow you; I didn't want you to have another." He paused and turned his head to look at her. "I didn't want to see you hurt. I didn't want to see you paint yourself a villain in the eyes of the Angor."

Helena released a heavy sigh, shaking her head. "I know, Adrian. I know you want to help, but I'm afraid of what'll happen to you. I'm scared that if things go to shit, they'll recognise you. I don't know how I'd live with myself, knowing that you got hurt because of me." She turned to him then, griping his arm and looking up at him with a solid stare. "You understand, don't you? What you mean to me?"

"Yes, I do." He leant forward and flattened his forehead to hers. "I know you're afraid of what'll happen, and I know you don't want me involved, but I can't just let you face them alone. I wanted to help you earlier and my actions are my own. I chose to do it. If anything happens to me because of it, then that's my own fault, not yours. I'm responsible for the consequences of my actions, not you."

Helena had to look away from his eyes. She found them too searching, too compassionate, too kind at times. There was something in his gaze that make her feel open, vulnerable. "I'm not going to win this discussion, am I?" she said, smiling bitterly at the dusty floor boards.

"No, probably not." He reached up and caressed her cheek. "We're very different people. We have different goals, different opinions. We even have different versions of right and wrong. We'll never agree on everything, and that's not something we should expect from one another. If something happens to me, then that's my own fault. I think that's enough said for now."

Helena leant into his touch, regarding him measuredly, but finally giving in with a huff of air. "Alright. That's enough said for now."

A smile pulled at his lips and he pressed a kiss to her forehand. "Thank you."

Helena really hoped that Adrian couldn't feel the warmth radiating from her cheeks and she opened and closed her mouth several times, trying to make the words come out. "I. I, er- I should be the one thanking you really. I do appreciate what you did. I would've regretted it if I'd killed her, and I wasn't in a place to be reasoned with. So, thank you, Adrian." She returned the kiss with a light peck to the cheek.

They remained in that tight cupboard for the remainder of the journey, talking quietly between themselves. It was only when the ship came to jolting halt, they left its dark confines. Amongst the scrambling crowds, they barged and slid their way to gather their horses, leaving all but the essentials for the Montis to carry.