The Whispers

Helena grunted as she readjusted the boxes for the umpteenth time. Adrian stopped a little ahead of her and peered back. "Do you want me to take another box?" he asked, watching as she regained her balance.

Sticking her nose in the air, she walked on, her face forcefully neutral. "No. It's fine." To prove her point she didn't stop again until they were down the hill and onto the dirt track. Adrian followed behind with an amused quirk of the lip, barely weighed down by his own load.

As they drew closer to the omega district, he fell into step beside her. Her strides where long, despite her being considerably shorter than himself.

"How have you been finding things since getting back?" Adrian asked.

"It's been quiet and uneventful for the most part. As per usual, the other wolves mostly ignore me, but it's not too out of the ordinary. Although, I've been getting a few odd looks, which is a bit disconcerting." Her reply was in her usual flat tone. She always did become a little more serious when not alone with him.

"I'm sure it's nothing."

"Hopefully."

They continued, passing the winding networks of electric cables and the spinning wind turbines that lay across the emerald slopes. Summer blooms still coloured the earth in patches of luminous yellow, red and blue, bathing in the warm evening glow as the sun sank towards the horizon. Birds sat along the lines, whistling to the tune of the wind as it ruffled their feathers.

The rogue enjoyed the quiet and the breeze, even though her fingers protested against the awkward handles of the boxes. For the moment, things were fine. She was back in her territory. Everyone she loved was none the worse for wear. The blade still hung from her side.

Expelling a breath, she glanced up, the omega district coming into view, the stone reflecting some of the evening glow. Soon the commons melted into paddocks and gardens. Manure overpowering the scents of the settlement itself.

The first wolf they saw was an omega man as he tended to a large, hanging fruit tree. As they passed, he stopped to watch them with little more than a slight nod of acknowledgement, before turning his back to them. It was a little colder than the greeting she usually received, but it wasn't an obvious snub. Her steps grew closer to his as they got deeper into the small cluster of houses.

"Adrian. Doesn't something seem a bit...off?" she whispered under her breath, keeping her eyes focussed ahead. His arm brushed alongside her shoulder.

"The reception is a bit colder than I'm used to."

It was a darn sight colder than what she was used to as well. Despite some of the older omegas being a little wary of her, the younger ones were always rather happy to see her. Today, no came over to say hello. No one even looked up from their work.

"Do you think Felix would know what's going on?" Adrian asked.

Helena pursed her lips. "Possibly. The only issue is that he's currently on shift at the pack den. Let's not ponder it and just get rid of these cakes."

Before Helena could decide on which house to visit first, she saw a familiar wolf slowly hobbling their way down the street. When he spotted them, he raised a trembling hand to shield his eyes. "Good day. My beta, Miss Helena. It's been a while since I saw you both last." Pavel reached them, his voice still light and aged, his hair pale and wispy like the clouds after rain.

"Evening Pavel. Adrian and I have found ourselves with rather too many cakes to eat by ourselves, so we thought we'd see if anyone here wanted some."

The old wolf looked over them with his watery eyes and smiled. "I would take one, but I don't have enough teeth I'm afraid. Perhaps my daughter would like some; she's always had a sweet tooth. Follow me." He didn't wait for them to reply as he began to walk, heavily leaning on his stick for support.