The Awkward Banquet

How could cheerful people smile so much without getting face cramps? 

That was the question going through her head as she stood before Oskar Arv, nodding along to his every word as he blabbed on about something inconsequential. To her side, Adrian was pretending to be a statue. Or at least, that's what she hoped he was doing. He was so tense, she could almost feel the ache in his muscles as her shoulder brushed his.

"Anyway, that's enough about me!" the man finally announced, much to Helena's delight. "You must be bored of me talking by now." Yes, yes she was.

"Of course not, Sir. Your story was quite riveting," she said with a soft smile. "I can barely imagine something as thrilling as a canoe ride in Imber." Imber wasn't known for its treacherous rivers and she was quite certain that there were no man-eating sharks anywhere near those islands. Not that she was going to mention that to the man.

"Thank you, Miss. And please, call me Oskar. Also, I don't believe I caught your name at the summit."

Helena's face protested as she beamed up at him. "Thank you, Oskar. My name is Helena."

She had to force herself to not shudder when he took her hand and kissed her knuckles. His blue eyes were so like Adrian's, but there wasn't the passion or fire that his carried. Instead, they lay flat and cutting. "Helena. A beautiful name. May I call you Lena perhaps?"

The man beside her seemed to jerk back into reality then and he cleared his throat. "I'm afraid Helena isn't fond of pet names. She chews my ear off every time I try." Her lip quirked with genuine amusement then. Was that jealousy she detected?

Oskar allowed her hand to fall, sending her a smirk that did more to unnerve her than comfort her. "My apologies, Helena. I suppose unless I want an ear like Adrian's here, I best avoid unnecessary informalities." It was a low jab and the alpha knew it as his eyes flickered to meet the beta's.

Adrian clenched his jaw, his knuckles white where they rested at his side. She subtly rubbed his arm, letting out a laugh that she hoped sounded genuine. "You're so cruel, Oskar. Now, I'm curious. What are we all having for dinner? It's been a long journey and I'm quite hungry for a warm meal."

Oskar seemed reluctant to pull his eyes away from Adrian and the smile he sent her didn't quite reach his eyes. "We're having an assortment of things. Soup for starters, that I know. It's about time we head in. Best not let it get cold."

Their small group followed Oskar through the decadent halls. Helena didn't allow herself to drop her smile, despite his back being turned. His underhands and guards were near, observing with the sort of hawkish watchfulness that made a person unnerved. She had her hand on the small of Adrian's back, encouraging him to move forward. The hotel's dining hall was clearly meant to hold banquets. The long centre table sat empty apart from four places arranged at one end. A man already sat in one of the four; Oksar quickly introduced as his beta.

All sat down, there was a thick tension in the air as their staff stood around the walls, lips sealed, and eyes cast down. Helena observed the strict discipline of the Arv wolves. Their stances so practised and precise that they reminded her of her days as an Angor trainee. The comparison left a bitterness in her mouth.

Oskar cleared his throat and pushed back his hair in a gesture that Helena had seen from Adrian many times before. "How was the journey, many I ask? I heard there's been some issues with the central trading route over the last couple days."

"There was a slight issue in one of the rest stops. They reckon it was leftover human war equipment," Adrian answered mechanically.

The alpha tsked under his breath. "Frightful creatures. It's always surprised me how long they lasted without killing themselves, but they waited just long enough to ruin the world for the rest of us." He sighed and shook his head. "Enough of that talk, how is business in the Montis faring?"